Freeboard and gunnel hight for offshore

Luke Sutter

Well, I'm now part of the PF family with a slightly used 2014 2400TRS loaded to the gills.  The only thing missing is a half tower, which I feel with help with shade but more importantly help sight fishing significantly.  Does anyone on this forum agree with the advantages of a custom half tower?

Secondly, I'm coming from a SeaHunt 22BX Pro.  I liked the boat a lot but I can see the better quality in the PF.  My main concern is - I like to go offshore (like 40-60 miles) on those nice calm days, maybe 10% of my trips as I'm mostly a flats and bay angler.  I loved how the SH handled the swell offshore with it's Carolina flare and slightly higher gunnels and freeboard.  How well will my new 2400TRS handle offshore?  Will it handle as well in as the SH in rougher weather during those pesky Summer thunderstorms?

Thanks in advance!

Gunnel highth is all about what's between your ears.  Surf boards run in rough water and have no gunnels.

Boston Whalers had low gunnels for years and were considered great rough water boats.  I know, I've owned three of them.

The thing that's important to me is getting rid a wave that dumps in the boat, quickly.  If the boat can shed water quickly, and the boat doesn't  flip over, you are usually in good shape.

Archived