Mirage HPX 17 Bilge Pumping Question

benbroker

Newbie trying to sort out the pumps on a 2006 17 HPX. I have two bilge pumps in the boat. One is disconnected, (the rear pump aft of the fiberglass box).

My questions are: What is the function of the fiberglass collection box?   I cannot understand what its purpose is as there is no plumbing for water to drain into it. Water can seep in through limber holes from the outside bilge area only it appears. Appears someone has added a second pump into this box as it is wired separately (and obviously aftermarket) to the panel. The pump discharges into the aft port live well and then gravity flows out from there? Weird to me.

What is the original mounting location of the original bilge pump in the boat?  Is the non functioning unit I see mounted aft of the box the original installation?  Its discharge hose has been disconnected. Do I understand it was supposed to discharge overboard starboard side aft?

My knuckles are bleeding and my brain is sore...anyone help?

bilge pump.jpg

Now that is one strange setup pumping the tub into the livewell, I too would like to hear what its for (maybe some kind of recirculating system - or even wackier, maybe the bilge hose that is disconnected went into the tub, then the tub pump moves the water up to the livewell where it drains, but that's just ridiculous)

I do know that you need to get the bilge pump functioning in auto and manual mode, out the thru hull, above the waterline... safety first.

I see a lot of extra connections coming off that pump, what looks like a pair of one way valves or something. I'd loose all that stuff, and run a new hose from the pump to the thru hull fitting. Maybe even rig that tub pump as a backup. nice to have 2.

Lets see some pics when your done. :)

Archived