Newbie owner here 1987 18 Maverick

MUGSHOT

Super proud new owner of this 1987 18 Maverick. This is my first flats boat, I couldn't have picked a finer boat. I will be replacing the center console hatch door first, want to purchase the newer port and starboard rod holders and ad a angle bezel for the helm. This boat is very clean inside and out, can't wait to hit Biscayne Bay and the Keys.

thumbnail_IMG_0152.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0153.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0155.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0168.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Mugshot - 

I love that '87.   My first MA was an 87 and it was set up exactly like yours.   Absolutely fell in love with that boat and liked it so much I eventually upgraded to a newer MA, which I halfway regret (the newer one has some stringer issues I'm dealing with).   

A few notes:

- The 87 (or at least mine) is MUCH lighter and "skiffier" than the later MAs, which I always liked about it.   My old tired 115 pushed it low-to-mid 40's and that was always plenty for me.   

- I miss that recessed front casting deck - it was great for keeping your fly line from blowing over the side.  My newer MA has a flush deck, which I like for many reasons, but is less desirable when I pull out the buggy whip.

-  That tilt steering is nice - and raises things up a bit for more comfort.   A backrest or tempress seats would be a nice addition for comfort!

- Does yours have plumbed or free-flowing livewells?  Mine had free-flowing live wells which I loved for the simplicity.    Not fantastic for keeping bait alive while running, but good enough to justify not having leaky, high maintenance plumbing!!    

Enjoy the heck out of her, she's a fine boat.   I know mine is still out there running around, so you've got plenty of life left in her.   She's already a classic, and she is built simply enough to outlast all of us and be around for the kids.   

Keep us posted on your progress with her!

Archived