Smith Sunglasses

Nag Juice

I bought my wife a pair of Smith’s last year and the hinge let go a month ago. I sent them back with no receipt and an explanation. I got an email a week or 2 later that they received the glasses. They concluded the issue was a manufacturing defect and offered a credit to replace with a frame of her choosing. She chose and I called to set it up. The glasses and lenses she chose were a little more than the credit and I expected to pay the difference. The rep didn’t hesitate and just took care of it. Complimented her taste in frames and wrote the difference off. It was a totally painless experience and I can’t say the same about some competitors. I always heard Smith’s customer service was great, but this was the first time I’ve used it. I wasn’t disappointed and wanted to pass the kudos to Smith. 

After a bad experience with another popular brand, I bought a pair of Smiths. I chose their less expensive line (sun-shades, I think) with readers for $75. They have been good glasses but the frames are coated with some type of material similar to lacquer. Can't clean them with ready made glasses cleaners that come in the little foil packages because it removes the coating on the frames. Still for $75, they are good glasses.

Smiths have been great for me.  They have offered an excellent discount for military (50% off) and I believe ems, fire, police.  I have been looking into Kaenon a bit too since Smith discontinued the frame style I like.  Again for military and first responders the Kaenons and many others are discounted on Gov-x com.

Very happy with my Smith's.  Had my first pair for about a year now.  Chromapop+ bronze which i think is about as good as the Costa "normal" glass (never had the 580).  But the frames are much better.  Never had a pair of Costa's that lasted a year without frames getting lose and falling off my face.  Going to stick with Smiths for my next pair for sure, but doesn't seem like I'll be having to look for new ones unless I loose these or manage to run them over or something.  

3 minutes ago, FunFlatsFishing said:

I have the smith Guide’s Choice frame with Chromapop+ copper mirror lenses and they are significantly better than my Costa’s with green mirror lenses. Especially in the waters around Tampa Bay

They do scratch up, I've also got the Guide's Choice...about three months old and already scratched.  Miss my Smith's Mavericks (awesome but discontinued).

8 minutes ago, DavisIslander said:

They do scratch up, I've also got the Guide's Choice...about three months old and already scratched.  Miss my Smith's Mavericks (awesome but discontinued).

Do you have the regular chromapop or the chromapop + lenses? I used to have the regular chromapop lenses but upgraded to the + lenses as they are much better and seem to be scratch resistant. Mine are still in great shape after about a year. 

I have been wearing Smith optics for 5-6 years now.  They take care of any and all problems without any question.  I have had really only one issue.  They told me to sent them in and they would take a look at them.  In 1 week they called me and told me that it was a manufacturing defect and they would allow me like $250.00 to pick out another style as the old one was out of date.  I only paid $125.00 for the defective glasses so I decided to buy 2 pairs of new ones since I was getting one pair for free.  I went with Smith after many years of wearing Costas when I had an issue with their customer service dept.  They use to be very good.  I had one of the hinges give way and needed to be replaced.  Customer service asked me to explain what had happened to cause this to happen.  I told them that when placing the sun glasses on top of my head,  the hinge broke.  They responded that the glasses were intended to be worn on my face and not made to be worn on the top of my head.  To make a long story short,  I told them that I had been buying their glasses for 10-12 years and that they were going to give me this BS excuse....Adios.  By the way.....I do not were prescription glasses....but the Chromapop lenses are fantastic.  I usually have 2-3 pair on board for different light and water conditions.

2 hours ago, Nag Juice said:

I switched over a couple years ago and never looked back. I got tired of the rubber wearing off and the lenses delaminating on the others.. 

Same here!!!!  Switched and Smith have been great.  Their plastic lenses don’t scratch like the costa’s and their frames don’t need to be repaired every six months.  I got tired of having to keep a pair for when I was returning one pair

So, I have never heard of Smith's.  Costa's were always way to expensive for me to own and I don't think they did prescription at the time.  I just recently got my first pair of prescription sunglasses and went with Oakley's.  I haven't been on the water yet with them but with bedding bass coming into season I plan to do much better.

Archived