Raw water wash down pump - emergency motor cooling

FROZEN

I learn something new every day. I was talking to my local Yamaha service manager (ex-factory engineer) about an intermittent cooling alarm and reduction to idle. Probably need a new water pump, he says. Maybe poppets and thermostats, too.

Anyway, after scheduling the work, he asked me what I would do if the impeller spun on the shaft, rendering the cooling system inop., 25 miles out in the Gulf.

Shrugging my shoulders, he told me that if I run the raw water wash down hose to the motor flush port, I should be able to cruise back, no problem. There is a minimum pressure required, but he checked my pump, and said “good to go”. Didn’t say how much, but I have a PF installed, rarely used pump.

I asked why there was no mention of this in the manuals, then HE shrugged his shoulders. Probably b/c Yamaha doesn’t supply the pumps, boat builders do, he speculated. He remembered when he worked at the factory, a group of guys went to the Bahamas, and had a total failure just leaving for the return trip. They rigged up a hose and nursed it all the way back to Fl. “Brilliant!....the staff said!

i bought a 4’ hose at ACE and put it in the ditch bag.

Like I said....learn something new every day!

there was a discussion about a similar topic related to jack plates on the FS forum....the idea was to use a RAW pump and run it into the engine while running with the JP up on 6...seemed to work, but, very risky......

I think your info is good....but, the potential for a impeller failure, for someone that changes it per schedule - e.g. every couple hundred hours, depending on use....is probably minimal...

dc

Archived