Propoising Question

General disarray

13 minutes ago, NCTribute said:

A stern lifting 4 blade will help some, but the relatively flat bottom hull design will always have some issues at slow to med cruising speeds. Trim tabs help, but hurt efficiency.

This is exactly right.  My boat porpoised with a 4 blade, and now with a 3 blade.  There is a mid speed range where it is particularly noticeable.  Under or over that that range and the porpoising stops.    I think it is something you have to accept and work the tabs in that speed range as NC said.   Or just speed up!  Which is what I usually do!

i don't have trim tabs on my 02-2200v. it's not a problem, when it starts to porpoise, i just trim down the motor a little. changed from a 200 hpdi to an IF4-200 and everything's the same. there is a spot around 3000 rpm that is a porpoise area. i just power up about 500-1000 rpm.

12 hours ago, smooth move said:

i don't have trim tabs on my 02-2200v. it's not a problem, when it starts to porpoise, i just trim down the motor a little. changed from a 200 hpdi to an IF4-200 and everything's the same. there is a spot around 3000 rpm that is a porpoise area. i just power up about 500-1000 rpm.

Some of the older boats didn't come with tabs.  I suggest you install a set of tabs.  It's a pretty easy job.  The tabs allow you to keep the bow down in a short nasty bay chop, substantially improving the ride.  It will eliminate porposing when your stern live wells are full or level the boat when you have some "full bodied" passengers.

Awesome thats kind of what I thought. I usually cruise around 3200-3400 and thats where it will happen. Last time I used the tabs but was just wondering if it was a boat thing or something my eyes weren't picking up. I am thinking to go to the OFX4 anyways. 

I will say when I tabbed down I noticed it cut the pound down when crossing wake. 

13 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

Some of the older boats didn't come with tabs.  I suggest you install a set of tabs.  It's a pretty easy job.  The tabs allow you to keep the bow down in a short nasty bay chop, substantially improving the ride.  It will eliminate porposing when your stern live wells are full or level the boat when you have some "full bodied" passengers.

tabs are cool in deeper water, but i have a habit of dragging the hull through all sorts of bottom material and i don't think they would last a season on my boat. this morning i was fishing in water so shallow that i had my buddy come up on the bow with me because his body weight was making the stern drag in the shell and mud. then the troll motor prop started banging around in the shell. wish i could utilize them,but, no bueno.

Archived