2004 RF18 has a 40 gallon tank? Really?

DavisIslander

My wonderful purchase is at TA Mahoney's getting the trailer updated.  I went with leaf springs because the torsion system was crazy expensive (not this year)....

As I'm reading up on my 2004 RF18, I see that it has a 40 gallon tank!  Are you kidding me, that's kind of big for an 18'10" boat don't you think?  6+ pounds per gallon X 40 = a lot of weight up front.  

I guess I could ride all the way up the St. John's River on a tank...or just cruise Tampa Bay from end-to-end.  Not that I have to fill it up unless I'm getting someone else to pay for it (laughing)

Not bragging or complaining...

Ya it is crazy how big some tanks are but some need them if you run all day and run a lot.  It is hard to burn that much gas in a day in west central Florida with ramps so close to the fishing areas.  I burn maybe 10 gallons in my boat a trip and that is with my old 2 stroke! 

Yeah I’d say pretty standard. Gotta remember the culture of these boats started in the south Florida and Keys with a lot of guys long runs into backcountry  

You’ll apppricate it on Keys vacations where you don’t have to pull it out to refuel every couple days or pay $5+ gal on water.  You don’t have to fill it all the way for normal use 

Love my LT18 with the 40 gallon tank. Days between fill-ups makes for more time with a rod in my hand! And I can't really tell a difference in how the boat handles with lots of gas or almost none, except it's a little faster when close to empty. 

Archived