Installing Trolling Motor

FLSnookhunter

2 hours ago, FLSnookhunter said:

How do you guys with Master Anglers get to underneath the deck on the front to install a quick release bracket for a trolling motor. Only access for me is through the anchor locker. Any suggestions appreciated

Year and type of MA ?

As mentioned by Troy, most have a backing plate, but, depending on the type you are installing, e.g. Ulterra, you might have to drill through the front lip and secure one bolt to the outside under the rubrail...no big deal...you can't see it.

dc

If, given the stress and fear of four bolts stripping out of that aluminum plate, you can do what I did.  I drilled through the plate and used bolts on the back side.  I used an arrow shaft with a box wrench taped to it, then taped the nut to the wrench.  With the help of a mirror down in the bilge, it took about 20 minutes to get it bolted on.  It was a lot easier than you might think.  Once you get the nut started, it is very simple.  

Probably overkill and not for everyone, but these TMs are getting heavier and heavier, and more expensive.  I couldnt stand the fear of watching my TM bounce over the side, so it was worth it to me.

I had issues with the backing plate.  Broke my tap among other things so I just went head and thru-drilled.  I think one hole, maybe two went all the way thru the hull but up under the lip.  My $2k plus trolling motor isn't going anywhere that the bow isn't.  

Archived