To Cover or Not?

DavisIslander

So I finally got it home from TA Mahoney and I’m going out this coming weekend.  Trailer updated and within budget!  Purchased trolling motor pedal, etc etc etc.  Very excited to get it slimy.

I'm ready.  But...looking at my “baby” I dislike seeing it covered.  So everyone, do I really need to keep it covered?  

Thanks!

708E4570-C63B-4474-841A-ACA0B8DC2A8E.jpeg

covered (2).jpg

Dave, cover it or at least get a cover for the console. The gauges will suffer first...the o-rings on the trim tab actuators next, and so on. It looks bad, but in a few years time it will like awful, and you'll wish you covered it. I keep a cover on my boat AND it's under a pole barn. 

3 minutes ago, BradM said:

Dave, cover it or at least get a cover for the console. The gauges will suffer first...the o-rings on the trim tab actuators next, and so on. It looks bad, but in a few years time it will like awful, and you'll wish you covered it. I keep a cover on my boat AND it's under a pole barn. 

That's not a bad idea, get a smaller cover for the console.

1 hour ago, Nag Juice said:

Last year, I sat on my mower and watched the masters with a case of yuengling. Yeah I put a tv in my garage. 

IMG_1367.JPG

A very Manly weekend, Nag !

If you cannot be there,  one must have a comfortable & quiet place to watch every swing.

Mod-1

5 hours ago, Moderator said:

A very Manly weekend, Nag !

If you cannot be there,  one must have a comfortable & quiet place to watch every swing.

Mod-1

For sure. Wife was out of town all weekend and my dog and I ate Ribeye's. I always enjoy celebrating the Masters. Not because I'm a big golf fan (I'm not), but for it marks the real beginning of consistent warm weather.

I live in north Florida and if I am using the boat regularly during the week, I cover the console, seating, trolling motor and engine. If it will be idle for a week or longer it get's the full cover. My boat lives on a floating dock so it important that it is protected.

The sun wears down color & non skid. Dirt gets in all the hatch creases when uncovered which can lead to mold &/or mildew in summer months due to humidity, rain, etc.

I use cowling & console covers when my boat sits for a week or less between use. I put a full cover on it when it sits unused for longer than that. 

After your done 'driveway boating' - staring at it while drinking a beer and sitting on your lawnmower, drooling... take 5 minutes and cover the boat. It stays so much cleaner and the sun wont destroy it.

I twist the latches 180 so the hatches stay open a little bit for air circulation (tennis balls works better...if your dog doesn't see you).

PS - Nice boat!

cover it and let the hatches breath after washing it.

it looks like your cover goes over the sides which is great.. if you don't cover it you will be mad at yourself a few years down the road when you are wet sanding everything. In fact, for like 10 bucks you can get  a cover for that spare and it will keep it from dry rotting. 

COVER IT.  Get a good cover and it will look nice, but cover it.  Don't believe me?  Put a cheap cover on it for a year, and then see what the cover looks like.   What the sun did to the cover, it does to gel coat - slower, but irreversable.  Better to let that radiation trash a $300 cover than a 20K boat!

• 1 month later...

Archived