Recommendations on wireless trolling motors

ififish

BPS is doing the 6 payment option right now and seems like a good idea to replace my trolling motor using this option. What is the best value between MinnKota 24v and Motor Guide 24v?

spot lock is important to me, do both motors have to work through electronics??

prefer 80lb thrust or highest 24v available

pros and cons

corrosion protection and longevity?

• 1 month later...

Just christened my new Motorguide Xi5 saltwater GPS TM with 24V, 80# thrust and 54” shaft on my 2008 Hewes RF. This thing is the bomb! It is quiet, strong, easy to operate, super responsive and a dream to put on and take off with the quick release bracket. When not on the boat all you see is a 4” X 6” piece of white starboard. 

Pits my first TM but I can’t imagine anything being better. I forgot it was on a high speed and when I activated the prop, it nearly knock me down with power. Looking forward to throwing out a couple of lines and trolling with a cold one in my hands. How did I ever do this w/o a TM!

oh and the anchor lock works wonderfully!

Might help your decision. MG pairs with Lowrance and Simrad electronics. MK pairs with Humminbird electronics. MG has a smaller remote with no display, MK has a large remote with a display. I think with MK you will need and extra heading device to get optimal spot lock. MG tends to a little cheaper price. They don't have to work through electronics, can totally be run by remote. 

Since the Motorguide remote has no screen readout, there is no indication if the motor is actually running or in what mode.

Niether system HAS to work with your existing GPS or sonar system.  On the Minn Kota you can opt for that integration with the use of their "Link" system. 

Not sure what integration Motorguide has.

The Minn Kota does have a bearing sensor which is necessary for accurate use of the "jog" function.  It looks like a GPS antennae, but it is actually an electronic compass.  It has to be mounted and powered.  It runs with bluetooth, so it isn't wired to the motor.  It tells the motor what direction the boat is pointed when it is stationary.  GPS can't do that.  With the jog function you can move the spotlock 5 feet at a time forward, back, left, or right in relation to the boat orientation.  It's incredibly useful when fishing submerged structure, especially when there is no visual reference for position.

Having not ussed MG can only comment on MK.  Just bought my 2nd one, the “Bluetooth” with the compass puck. 24v, 54”

LOVE IT.  Improvements over older version 1) spot lock much better. 2) the spring assist really makes it one hand easy operation. 3) new remote uses 3A batteries vs. the troublesome flat cell.  

16 hours ago, smilemaker said:

Curious  how the mg can jog left or right without a sensor on the boat. The TM has no way of knowing the boats heading unless the electronic compass is in the base of the TM

Left or right is not heading reliant now if you want to jog north or south etc. you would need to know your heading.

Long time Xi5 user here, though Ive never owned a MK I have friends that do and Ive fished off their boats Id pick Xi5 hands down.  3 friends I know have had nothing but issues with the MK 1 recently switched to xi5 and he loves it.  Mine has been bullet proof as far as operation... never died on me out on the water friends MK have several times.  The one down fall to Xi5 is the powder coating bubbling and flaking off.  Ive given them a piece of my mind several times though its covered under warranty not so much once it ends.  There is good news on this as theyve been touting they have this issue solved and are using the same paint process on merc outboards so hope they got it fixed.  

As to the jog / heading compass deal Im not sure its using the heading part of the elec compass its probably the xtra accuracy that type of antenna gives possibly in conjuntion with another on the troller.  Xi5 has 2 GPS's one in the mount and one in the head... already having a point 1 on my boat Id sure hate to have to mount another so to me thats a negative and BTW the GPS in Xi5 is the same as Rhodan which has been a proven system.

As to the lack of remote screen I dont get the attraction no troller ive ever owned has had one and I dont see where its neccessary except for running routes it may be easier to visually pick which one you want to run.  They dont require using thru the plotter and again I dont see the need for it but again running routes it might be nice.

Archived