Battery

VsteveV

30 minutes ago, Whiskeytrain said:

Do you guys prefer AGMs for starting/cranking batteries?

What engine...on some, you need to have a high reserve capacity (RC)..for example, on my older Yamadog 115 1995 two stroke, Yamaha recommends only a wet cell dual purpose or STARTING BATTERY....

On my F150, I used a DEKA series 31, monster RC when I was running a pathfinder to allow me to run all the electronics, etc.

Some require lots of cranking amps....

To be honest, you can't go wrong with an interstate series 27 (wet cell) or DEKA for a starting battery in most applications....PIA to keep water filled...but, they work.  For trolling motor batteries AGMS 100%.

dc

7 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

What engine...on some, you need to have a high reserve capacity (RC)..for example, on my older Yamadog 115 1995 two stroke, Yamaha recommends only a wet cell dual purpose or STARTING BATTERY....

On my F150, I used a DEKA series 31, monster RC when I was running a pathfinder to allow me to run all the electronics, etc.

Some require lots of cranking amps....

To be honest, you can't go wrong with an interstate series 27 (wet cell) or DEKA for a starting battery in most applications....PIA to keep water filled...but, they work.  For trolling motor batteries AGMS 100%.

dc

It’s a 2017 Suzuki 115. 

No shortage of opinions on this issue...

I'm a huge fan of the Odyssey PC925 for an isolated starting battery.  They are tiny but mighty.   In nearly 15 years of using and recommending them I have never heard of one lasting less than 6 years.  It spins my 175 HPDI like a top and other friends are using them to start their F150's.  

Then put all your other (house) stuff on a separate circuit and battery  - maybe a group 24 deep cycle in the console.

Good luck with whichever route you take.

Cheers,

Bud

2 hours ago, Bud_man said:

No shortage of opinions on this issue...

I'm a huge fan of the Odyssey PC925 for an isolated starting battery.  They are tiny but mighty.   In nearly 15 years of using and recommending them I have never heard of one lasting less than 6 years.  It spins my 175 HPDI like a top and other friends are using them to start their F150's.  

Then put all your other (house) stuff on a separate circuit and battery  - maybe a group 24 deep cycle in the console.

Good luck with whichever route you take.

Cheers,

Bud

Who makes that battery?

Very few manufacture batteries. They all brand under different names. The names/labels seem to effect the warranties and what you pay for them

Does Odyssey  manufacture a battery? If they do, please share.

Sears sold to spec the same battery under the Die hard Brand marine battery. The only difference was 100 bucks and the warranty and the marketing.

No doubt the Odyssey is a supreme battery. But, that same technology also comes in a different wrapper with a little different warranty from other sources.

Does Odyssey have or own a battery manufacturing facility?

I don't know who makes the battery.  Their website says they are an EnerSys company.   I learned about them at the Odyssey booth at the Miami boat show probably 16 or 17 years ago.  The salesman gave me the pitch about how they supplied the military/coast guard for years, the purest lead, resilience to deep discharge, charging speed, power to size, blah, blah.  

At the time we had a 16 Hewes with a 90 two stroke and they recommended a PC680 - a ridiculously small battery.  I cautiously gave it a try thinking it would be nice to lighten the load in the rear compartment.  I think that battery lasted 7 or 8 years and I've been a believer ever since.  

When we moved to the Maverick and bigger motor the Odyssey sales guy suggested the PC925.  I've gotten more than a few strange looks when people look in the battery compartment - it's like 7 inches square by 5 inches high.  After 2 years it still holds voltage like the day I got it.  For $150 at 4 Wheel Parts I think it's tough to beat.  

The higher capacity trolling motor batteries are a pile of money though...

On 3/31/2018 at 1:06 PM, Whiskeytrain said:

It’s a 2017 Suzuki 115. 

DF100/115/140 12 Volt 100 AH or over CCA/SAE 512 Amperes or over
DF100A/115A/140A RC/SAE 160 mins or over

From the website....160 RC is not easy to find in some AGM's.

Again, check a wet cell....

From what I understand...the newer engines produce a lot of energy from the alternator and without enough RC you can damage the alternator when using a low RC battery as it can over load the battery and alternator.

dc

21 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:
DF100/115/140 12 Volt 100 AH or over CCA/SAE 512 Amperes or over
DF100A/115A/140A RC/SAE 160 mins or over

From the website....160 RC is not easy to find in some AGM's.

Again, check a wet cell....

From what I understand...the newer engines produce a lot of energy from the alternator and without enough RC you can damage the alternator when using a low RC battery as it can over load the battery and alternator.

dc

The seavolt West Marine starting battery I have in the boat for the past two years seemed to work good with the new Suzuki until it is now dead. It is a group 24 and meets all the criteria you mentioned above minus the RC. It is only 120. Are there any group 24 batteries you know of that meet the criteria or would you switch to a group 27. If possible, I’d like to not add anymore weight on the boat with a heavier battery.

thank you for the feedback

12 hours ago, Whiskeytrain said:

The seavolt West Marine starting battery I have in the boat for the past two years seemed to work good with the new Suzuki until it is now dead. It is a group 24 and meets all the criteria you mentioned above minus the RC. It is only 120. Are there any group 24 batteries you know of that meet the criteria or would you switch to a group 27. If possible, I’d like to not add anymore weight on the boat with a heavier battery.

thank you for the feedback

If the manufacturer states 160...go with a series 27....you will have to change the box- but, not a big $$ cost - $20.

Many people swear by Walmart batteries - wet cell that meet the criteria....(easy to replace if it goes bad)....I have an interstate series 27 for my 115 2 stroke yamadog.  It's listed at $121.

If it were me, I'd be done with it and go with this one...just keep an eye on the water levels....they work and many dealers around.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/srm-27

Group Size27DC
Part NumberSRM-27
Cold Cranking Amps600
Cranking Amps750
Reserve Capacity (RC) @ 25 hr160
Length12 3/4
Width6 3/4
Height9 1/2
Weight50.3

I use the same battery wanaflatsfish has suggested above. Never really had any problems with them, just maintain them. I have 4 in my bay boat and I get them from my buddy who owns an auto parts store for $103.00. If you ever have an issue they have a large dealer network so a dead battery in the keys or anywhere will be easy to get replaced.

On March 31, 2018 at 8:41 PM, Capt. Troy said:

Who makes that battery?

Very few manufacture batteries. They all brand under different names. The names/labels seem to effect the warranties and what you pay for them

Does Odyssey  manufacture a battery? If they do, please share.

Sears sold to spec the same battery under the Die hard Brand marine battery. The only difference was 100 bucks and the warranty and the marketing.

No doubt the Odyssey is a supreme battery. But, that same technology also comes in a different wrapper with a little different warranty from other sources.

Does Odyssey have or own a battery manufacturing facility?

Yes I e mailed Odyessey , that battery is made by EnerSys in Warrenburg Mo. .Odyssey has two EnerSys facilitys the one in Warrenburg Mo. and a second facility in the UK .  Joe R 

7 hours ago, VsteveV said:

Ive had bad luck with Interstate, so no go there. Is Optima worth it? 

I have 8 Interstate group 27's (wet cell) in 3 boats starting and deep cycles. $110 /$125 each. Some are 5 years old and still holding 12.74 volts after charge and rest. When the batteries go in my golf cart I'll be looking for Interstates. It's all about the care/maintenance. I would not pay Optima's asking price. Not to mention a lot of people say they went down hill when they moved to Mexico.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:07 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

If the manufacturer states 160...go with a series 27....you will have to change the box- but, not a big $$ cost - $20.

Many people swear by Walmart batteries - wet cell that meet the criteria....(easy to replace if it goes bad)....I have an interstate series 27 for my 115 2 stroke yamadog.  It's listed at $121.

If it were me, I'd be done with it and go with this one...just keep an eye on the water levels....they work and many dealers around.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/srm-27

Group Size27DC
Part NumberSRM-27
Cold Cranking Amps600
Cranking Amps750
Reserve Capacity (RC) @ 25 hr160
Length12 3/4
Width6 3/4
Height9 1/2
Weight50.3

Like Interstate 27. Cranks my Merc. 150 four stroke  fine and I run my bottom machine off it as well. 

Archived