New HPX owner with a few questions

SC_Fisher

We just purchased a 2012 17' HPX-V and are to trying to figure some things out.

1) Is there a way to prevent water from entering the small livewell on the port side?  It has the drain on the lower back wall where the standard plugs will not fit without cutting. Would like to use this one as additional dry storage.

2) There is a small chip in the gel coat beneath the drain plug.  I have no experience with fiberglass, would I be ok to use marine tex to fill this spot?

Thanks!

If it's plumbed as an additional live well there should be a Seacock in the bilge, turn the handle perpendicular to the fitting to shut it off and that will keep water from entering the boat. 

There are gel coat repair kits available to take fill in the chip, I'm no fiberglass expert but that would be better I think than introducing a different resin (MarineTex) to the fiberglass. Me personally, I don't repair any chips, scratches, etc... unless I see cloth hanging out. 

On 4/15/2018 at 2:38 PM, SC_Fisher said:

I have no experience with fiberglass, would I be ok to use marine tex to fill this spot?

Yes, especially in a place where it's not fully visible...just realize, if you want to repair it in the future, you have to grind it out as Marine Tex does not hold fiberglass gelcoat over it.

that being said, it's better to use this than leave open as it can begin to peel, especially where your chip is located.

As mentioned above...a simple gel coat repair kit are very simple to use with lots of You tube videos, especially for something simple like a chip.

Mincraft (sp) is the name of the gelcoat company that carries get coat kits for a few $$....prep the area, mix the gel or putty (easier), place, then sand...it's not that hard.

dc

On 4/21/2018 at 8:21 PM, jason p said:

If it's plumbed as an additional live well there should be a Seacock in the bilge, turn the handle perpendicular to the fitting to shut it off and that will keep water from entering the boat.

Thanks guys.  sorry for the confusion.  There is a seacock in the bilge, but it is for the other well.  This one is not plumbed, only force fed.  Is there a way to stop this?  I might be asking a dumb question, I just don't see how.  The plug in the bottom does not keep it dry due to the location on the bottom of the back wall of the well (plug does not fit well because it needs to be trimmed to fit.

I started looking at the Spectrum kits and will also look at the Mini-craft too.

Thanks Again

• 2 weeks later...

Are you saying the hole in the bottom of the livewell is too small for your plug?  These plugs come in all sorts of sizes.  I have a HPX 15fter with a live well I don't use and found a small plug that fits the drain hole.  Dry as a bone for yrs.

Archived