Gas pump out question...

FLDXT

Been to long running the boat, knew today was going to bad, hit a bird on the way to the ramp, lost my phone, need an update on my simrad for it to pick up my totals an, and think I have some bad gas. It's been too long, probably September, I knew it but just been too busy. Motor will idle fine but really slow getting up and will have momentary spurts of wot then back to about 5k. Changed the recor and the filter on the df140 but I'm thinking of draining the tank. Can I run a hose down the filler neck into the tank? I'm really trying to avoid dealing with the sending unit hole. I need to get through this summer and then Dino and I should be building new tanks together. Thanks in advance 

1 hour ago, FLDXT said:

Been to long running the boat, knew today was going to bad, hit a bird on the way to the ramp, lost my phone, need an update on my simrad for it to pick up my totals an, and think I have some bad gas. It's been too long, probably September, I knew it but just been too busy. Motor will idle fine but really slow getting up and will have momentary spurts of wot then back to about 5k. Changed the recor and the filter on the df140 but I'm thinking of draining the tank. Can I run a hose down the filler neck into the tank? I'm really trying to avoid dealing with the sending unit hole. I need to get through this summer and then Dino and I should be building new tanks together. Thanks in advance 

You should be able to get to tank from the fill tube.....but, it's very easy to get to the sending unit...it should be under a access panel under the center console....mine came right off in five minutes...get a hand pump and you are golden...will take about 15 minutes of hand pumping to get it out.

I paid $200 to have guy come by and pump it out.....and then clean it...but, if you you are just changing gas short term..you should be good...

DC

Just now, Wanaflatsfish said:

You should be able to get to tank from the fill tube.....but, it's very easy to get to the sending unit...it should be under a access panel under the center console....mine came right off in five minutes...get a hand pump and you are golden...will take about 15 minutes of hand pumping to get it out.

I paid $200 to have guy come by and pump it out.....and then clean it...but, if you you are just changing gas short term..you should be good...

DC

Problem is my sending unit hole does not match up with my access hole, somebody missed it by about 6", reason I keep using a flow meter vs sending unit. I'm gonna try through the filler neck and lower the front of the boat.

Just drained my tank, used a little plastic pump and taped the hose to a dowel rod so I could move it around the tank and get the crud in the corners. 

If possible I would recommend using the sending unit hole. Reason being you can tilt the trailer up then push your hose to the bottom to make sure you are getting all the water/crud that settles there. I was surprised how much water and trash was in the tank.

Just now, SouthernWake said:

I was surprised how much water and trash was in the tank.

mine was the color of varnish..had not been cleaned in 5 years :) uggggh.

took 3 RACOR's to get it totally clean :(

I only use Shell  rec fuel off 441 here in FLL>..no Chokoloskee  gas after the hurricane...too much of a chance for water in the tanks

dc

Mine was going on 18 years and I doubt had ever been cleaned, was having water issues to to a leaking sending unit and vent fitting.

had to get creative reattaching the sending unit as all the holes were stripped and didn't have mich working room as the access port was off the mark as well.

So thinking about this, got some hose, I line filters and a pump coming. I wonder if i could disconnect at the primer bulb, attach a filter and the pump there, pull through my fuel and water seperator? Surely the little fuel pump has enough power to do that? Thinking an extra filter through the racor.

9 hours ago, FLDXT said:

So thinking about this, got some hose, I line filters and a pump coming. I wonder if i could disconnect at the primer bulb, attach a filter and the pump there, pull through my fuel and water seperator? Surely the little fuel pump has enough power to do that? Thinking an extra filter through the racor.

This is how its done if you don't want to remove the fuel sender.  I would bypass the racor though. 

Correct! No need to run bad gas you are going to throw away through a good filter. I bought an electric fuel pump, some wire and battery clips and pumped the gas in to 5 gallon cans, thankfully the local "garbage dump" takes bad gas at the hazardous material section! Pretty easy just takes some time to pump it out through a 3/8" gas line, do it with the bow raised to get all the gas back at the pick up.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:49 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

no Chokoloskee  gas after the hurricane...too much of a chance for water in the tanks

Rec90 at Parkway Marina in Choko is clean as a whistle. Been filling up there exclusively for quite a while. It's the Glades City gas station you need to worry about! 

5 minutes ago, conocean said:

Rec90 at Parkway Marina in Choko is clean as a whistle. Been filling up there exclusively for quite a while. It's the Glades City gas station you need to worry about! 

can you fill by trailer or only by boat at Parkway?

yes, glades city = no way !!!  

BTW, there is now Rec 90 at the WAWA off Broward Blvd and I-95

dc

I fill up my boat in the water at Parkway because it's easier for me but I don't see why you couldn't fill up there with your boat on its trailer. They start pumping gas there after 8am and rarely past 4:30pm. Go to the office to get the manager (Bill), or call ahead like I do and he will meet you at the pump. It's usually .50cents to $1 per gallon more expensive there but well worth it for the convenience. You can't get consistent quality fuel anywhere else on the island. 

My brother was broke enough to pump mine out for me once to put the gas in his truck.  I just pulled the fuel line off the water separator and connected more hose to it, and got one of those manual fuel transfer pumps.  Took a while, I had about 50 gallons in it.  I just did it when I bought the boat to avoid any issues with E in the gas and have only run non-E since I got it.

15 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

This is how its done if you don't want to remove the fuel sender.  I would bypass the racor though. 

Just out of curiosity, why would you bypass the racor? Seems like if I can get an extra round of filtering on the gas coming out of the boat it would be beneficial? I plan on putting two inline filters on the hose coming to my gas cans, but I don't think they will get rid of much water if that is the issue. I had planned on just changing the racor out. From what I can see, the fuel line from the tank comes out the bottom backside of the tank, the boat has been sitting for a few days so the water should be setting right at the outlet to the tank? Is that plausible? I don't think I have a water issue, when I emptied the racor there was no separation in the bowl, the gas was yellowish color but when I drained it and let it sit it appeared to get cloudier. Didn't see any separation until I actually added water just so I could see what it looks like.

8 hours ago, FLDXT said:

Just out of curiosity, why would you bypass the racor? Seems like if I can get an extra round of filtering on the gas coming out of the boat it would be beneficial? I plan on putting two inline filters on the hose coming to my gas cans, but I don't think they will get rid of much water if that is the issue. I had planned on just changing the racor out. From what I can see, the fuel line from the tank comes out the bottom backside of the tank, the boat has been sitting for a few days so the water should be setting right at the outlet to the tank? Is that plausible? I don't think I have a water issue, when I emptied the racor there was no separation in the bowl, the gas was yellowish color but when I drained it and let it sit it appeared to get cloudier. Didn't see any separation until I actually added water just so I could see what it looks like.

If your plan is to clean the fuel or filter it and re-use then go ahead and use multiple filters.  If the plan is to remove and start with fresh rec90 then I wouldn't waste the filters.

2 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

If your plan is to clean the fuel or filter it and re-use then go ahead and use multiple filters.  If the plan is to remove and start with fresh rec90 then I wouldn't waste the filters.

I'm going to reuse the fuel probably in my lawnmowers, etc. So I'd like it to be clean as possible. My question was specifically why the recommendation to bypass the recor www or what issues there could be from running through the racor. My plan is to pump, unfiltered about 5 gallons tonight and dispose of, I figured this should be the worst gas being it's the back bottom of the tank and its settled out. The rest hopefully j can reuse.

It is easy to make a fuel polisher. Go to a auto parts store and buy an external fuel pump.next get a racor filter and housing. The one with the clear bottom. Go to local home  improvement  store and get fittings and hose to connect things.  Make a board and base to mount pump and filter. The input hose needs a fitting to connect to the fuel line that you will remove from the boats filter. The output hose should be long enough to go from back of boat to fuel fill and about 2 or 3 feet in. Connect electrical to a cigarette plug. Once all is in place turn it on and go about your yard work. Check it now and then to see what is in the clear bowl. When you put it up empty the metal part of the filter and let it dry for next cleaning.

It will help keep junk out of the tank and the fuel clean for the fishing trips. Easier to clean filter on shore than on the water.

By the way I keep extra filters on the boat that can easily be changed.

1 hour ago, smilemaker said:

I keep extra filters on the boat that can easily be changed.

Ditto...I keep a big blue in a bag.....just in case.....a guide in Choko told me his "racor" filled with mud and sand from the Marathon station's fuel last year before IRMA...I can only imagine now....they say it's due to the tanks being at or near sea-level and when it rains...you get water run off.

Any "above ground" tank should be "ok".

dc

So I think I figured it out and it was a clogged racor. There is zero water in this gas. I drained about 11 gallons and didn't see a drop, in fact I had to add water to a cup of gas to make sure I knew what I was looking for. I think what happened is the boat has been dry since Sept, I ran it weekly on the muffs in the same position without disturbing the tank. Pretty sure all the junk gathered up in the rear of the tank where the outlet is and I steadily sucked it through my racor effectively clogging it. I think I'm going to just keep sucking from pre racor tomorrow and go right back into the tank for a few hours. I did see a little sediment when I first pulled from pre racor but it wasn't much and the last 5 gallons was clear. 

Archived