Bilge Pump Outlet

Nolezone

RF 18, lots of water coming in (run bilge pump every 8-10 minutes). My rear starboard bilge pump outlet...might be letting water flow freely in when turned off and below outside water level. Yamaha 150 Vmax is pretty heavy back there and when I am back there that adds over 200.lbs. not to mention the increasingly heavy weight of the bilge’s rising water level. Shouldn’t this outlet be a one way outlet? As in “water goes out and none comes in?” This couldn’t be a design flaw, could it?  

Suggestions?

I have never heard of a one way valve in a bilge pump outflow hose.  I might be wrong.  But for certain, you can't have the bilge pump thru hull below water level!   That HAS to be corrected, one way or the other.  Typically, the thru hull for the bilge pump is just below the rub rail, so you are saying that the water level, when you are heavy, sometimes reaches almost to the rub rail/gunnel?  If so, you have a serious, serious issue! 

My bilge pump outlet is NOT just below the rub rail (it’s about half the way from the bottom of the side and rub rail) and dips at times down below the waterline. I’m sure the weight of the 150hp outboard is a factor. Boat’s only 10 years old and I can’t imagine the through hulls need replacing or resetting. Guess I better call Hewes directly. 

The hose to the bilge pump should have a loop on it that goes as high as possible inside the boat as it then comes down to the outlet. This will stop water from pouring directly into the pump. It must first go into the hose and up to the highest point before it can run down into the boat at the pump. If the hose runs straight to the pump then water has a straight shot.

It does seem lower than I’ve seen but not low enough that it should be gong under that often 

But have you checked the seal around the cockpit scuppers? Most of the time it seems to be the sealant around the pipe that goes from cockpit to hull is dried up. It was allowing a surprising amount of water into mine (since they are indeed under a lot) and I couldn’t even see an issue. 

Archived