21' Maverick Poling Platform

JT Quinta

Hey Guys, I'm new to MBG Forum.Com and just purchased a 2007 / 21' Master Angler with a 250HP VMAX. This is not my first "flats boat" and I am old enough to know that when trolling motors were NOT an option...., you actually had to pole a boat on the flats to get around quietly. My new 21' had the poling platform removed and sold - I guess. My question is: I found and can buy a used poling platform off of another 21' and install it exactly where it's supposed to go but really...., can this boat be readily poled w/o the pole'r being a gorilla?  I mean granted, the platform does give you a huge height boost but the boat sure looks clean w/o the platform. Thanks in advance.   

Been there couldn't do that...LOL. I've been on multiple 21' "flats boats' and the polling platform usually is great for looking from an elevated position and not so much for long term poling. You can definitely pole it if you know where the fish are and you want to ease up on them, but scouting around for even a few hours and you'll realize it's not fun especially if there is any wind at all. With the remote trolling motors now as well, you can stand up there and run the TM by yourself which is awesome. 

The boat was built with one on it standard and I would highly recommend having one for the height advantage alone. 

BTW...you're not allowed to mention you have 21' MA without showing pics!!! Welcome to the forum. Lots of great, knowledgeable peeps on here. 

1 hour ago, FMB MEGALOPS said:

Been there couldn't do that...LOL. I've been on multiple 21' "flats boats' and the polling platform usually is great for looking from an elevated position and not so much for long term poling. You can definitely pole it if you know where the fish are and you want to ease up on them, but scouting around for even a few hours and you'll realize it's not fun especially if there is any wind at all. With the remote trolling motors now as well, you can stand up there and run the TM by yourself which is awesome. 

The boat was built with one on it standard and I would highly recommend having one for the height advantage alone. 

BTW...you're not allowed to mention you have 21' MA without showing pics!!! Welcome to the forum. Lots of great, knowledgeable peeps on here. 

Oh yea..., PICS!!!

These are the sellers posted pics and the hull color is "stars & stripes"... not my favorite...,  I just put in a new Garmin 74CV  chirp and have a host of other "fixes" in the works. I'll post the original buyers invoice that came with the boat. It's a Southwest Florida boat.  

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

15 hours ago, JT Quinta said:

Oh yea..., PICS!!!

These are the sellers posted pics and the hull color is "stars & stripes"... not my favorite...,  I just put in a new Garmin 74CV  chirp and have a host of other "fixes" in the works. I'll post the original buyers invoice that came with the boat. It's a Southwest Florida boat.  

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

I saw this boat for sale online.  I actually sent the link to a friend of mine but he chickened out.  Nice boat!  I have a 21 as well.  I have never attempted to pole it and doubt I ever will.  I use my platform as a look out point and a nice table to eat a sandwich.  I'm certain I could pole the boat, but wouldn't want to do it for long!

I pole my 18 just fine, but I'm not chasing bonefish across large flats - I'm back in marshes chasing redfish short distances.   Having said that, with a wireless trolling motor, that poling platform becomes REALLY nice - you stand up there as a lookout point and run the trolling motor via the remote.   I've never felt like the poling platform gets in the way, and in fact, I've found it fantastic for rod holders, especially when staked out.   There's more to a "poling" platform than poling.   

Heck, if nothing else, it makes a really attractive (and very expensive) spoiler for the boat!

OldestCityLocal..., Good Looking 21MA. That looks like a Minn-Kota Ulterra at the bow. How difficult does it install?  I have an manual "old school" 80lb riptide but it mounts way further back on the deck.  Do you have good access underneath the deck to use locking nuts and washers? Which one did you get, the 36V / 112lb./ 60"....?  

On 5/20/2018 at 8:21 PM, JT Quinta said:

Well, here's the poling platform that was installed. I also did a thourough polish of the gelcoat which brought her back to life. Not too many complete colored hulls other than white. 

20180520_154457.jpg

20180520_154401.jpg

I like the color, don't see many like it. Great boat-- and better to have the platform then not.  Better to fish from when  in an inlet or anchored up or in the rough, otherwise you end up grabbing the cowling, good place to sit when relaxing etc......

• 4 weeks later...

Archived