Does Anyone Use A Float Switch?

Nolezone

My 2008 Redfisher 18’ has a strong bilge pump that for now works great. But the previous owner told me that there has never been a float switch installed to automatically kick on the bilge pump in the case of water collecting down there. I ALWAYS had a working float switch in my 21’ Mako CC for obvious reasons. 

Do you flats boats aficionados have float switches in your bilges? Seems like a great and inexpensive safety option. 

Yup and your PO is most likely confused. Its been standard equipment going back to the  mid 1990's I would say. Or at least on any MBC boat I have seen it was. I suspect he has/had one and didn't know it. You sure its not there? Highly recommended if not!

Yep, and I check mine before and after every outing. Just pulled it the other day to clean and it up. I think they have bilge pumps with sensors in the pump now, but I like to be able to reach down and flip the float to make sure it kicks on.

There is NOT one down there now that I can find. Are you saying my Rule 1100 bilge pump might have an internal sensor that would trigger it to come on automatically? In 3 boat rides, with water in the bilge, it hasn’t kicked on once. 

31 minutes ago, Nolezone said:

There is NOT one down there now that I can find. Are you saying my Rule 1100 bilge pump might have an internal sensor that would trigger it to come on automatically? In 3 boat rides, with water in the bilge, it hasn’t kicked on once. 

It may, I believe they make them now like that. If it does, it should have a hot wire straight to the batt with a fuse, if it doesnt I'd assume it's not an auto pump.

My hewes needs a bit of water for the bilge to kick on. I didn't know I had a float switch until I put the hose in there to check for leaks. It even works with the battery switched to the off position. 

37 minutes ago, J.N said:

My hewes needs a bit of water for the bilge to kick on. I didn't know I had a float switch until I put the hose in there to check for leaks. It even works with the battery switched to the off position. 

Its supposed to, that's the reason for the two hot wires, one to switch and one starlight to batt 

If there is an "internal switch" there will be a test button located under where the wires go into the pump body of a Rule pump ( the Rules I've seen anyway), Attwoods have a test button mounted on the side of the pump body. If your unfamiliar with these newer style automatic bilge pumps you wouldn't know it's even there, especially on the Rule pumps. 

Archived