Ideas For Deck Grab Rails

Wanaflatsfish

My knees are totally shot from years of long distance running now the weight is not helping (working on the weight).

plus I have a few older buds...walking off the front deck of the MA 17 sometimes ends up with me on the floor when my knee gives out or I have to step down really easily.

I am having Ralph De Leonardo Da Vinci, build me both a console grab bar (so we don't grab the new $1500 simrad when we are tripping) and I"d like to install something when we step up to the bow, to grab...here are some ideas I found on the net...but, pics of forum members are worth a 1000 pics...

Ideas please with on boat install for my Welder Extr-ordinare :)

IMG_7578.PNG.949434ee9e919b9f688c53f751228831.PNGIMG_7579.PNG.4d1c62e2fd57e7a20d902431309056bc.PNG

13 hours ago, justfish said:

Look into putting in 0* rod holders and having him cut gimble ends in the grab rails so they can be removable and you’d have the rod holders when your not using them. 

I love my 0* rod holders on the bow

Will most likely mount the HR's on the pole...but, very nice idea...

dc

One other thing to consider is when you, or passengers stand up from behind the console. I've seen and had a tendency to use the steering wheel to pull up with, stressing the helm. I cut my console rail to create hand grabs to pull up on the try and eliminate this.

45 minutes ago, FLDXT said:

One other thing to consider is when you, or passengers stand up from behind the console. I've seen and had a tendency to use the steering wheel to pull up with, stressing the helm. I cut my console rail to create hand grabs to pull up on the try and eliminate this.

Good idea....

dc

23 hours ago, fin-addict said:

flush mount rod holder on bow and pole with box type handle as grip on end, fits into rod holder. often seen on SF boats gunnel mounted to step into cockpit/ pics can be found on the net.

The issue is there is not much room to mount any rod holders for removal on the front deck of a MA17...

dc

Does it have to be a grab bar to get to the front deck?  What about a step?  It would be fairly easy to make one out of fiberglass to match the rest of the boat and if it was a box style step it could be extra storage for gear, batteries, ect.

1 hour ago, mulligan said:

Does it have to be a grab bar to get to the front deck?  What about a step?  It would be fairly easy to make one out of fiberglass to match the rest of the boat and if it was a box style step it could be extra storage for gear, batteries, ect.

No room....but, good idea.

dc

Archived