Trolling motor mounting

FLSnookhunter

So... I installed my Minn Kota quick release bracket by using the factory mounting plate. I drilled, tapped, and then screwed it in as instructed in original manual. Today while barely moving with the trolling motor I hit bottom with the motor and it ripped up the back of the quick release plate. Luckily only 2 of 4 screws. Upon inspection it totally ripped the threads out of the factory mounting plate it seems. Any suggestions on how to re-mount it so it’s more secure? Thanks

I do not have any experience with the quick mount but I wanted to add I knew a guy who lost a motor using the quick release mount. If there is not a real good reason to use the quick release I would mount it to the deck. I think it is a stronger solution. 

I honestly don't believe the glassed-in mounting plate is thick enough to have enough threads to hold a trolling motor.  Personally, I would through bolt it with either a backing plate or large S.S. fender washers on each bolt.

21 hours ago, FLSnookhunter said:

So... I installed my Minn Kota quick release bracket by using the factory mounting plate. I drilled, tapped, and then screwed it in as instructed in original manual. Today while barely moving with the trolling motor I hit bottom with the motor and it ripped up the back of the quick release plate. Luckily only 2 of 4 screws. Upon inspection it totally ripped the threads out of the factory mounting plate it seems. Any suggestions on how to re-mount it so it’s more secure? Thanks

Pics would help?  What type of TM? Ulterra or other?

dc

what boat are you running?  I was able to get bolts/washers on the back of mine through my anchor locker.  I had to tape a box wrench to an arrow shaft, then taped the washer/nut to the box wrench.  With the help of a mirror, I was able to line up the bolt/washer/nut, then once it bit, it was easy.  Probably took me 30 min to get all 4 bolts done.  

Archived