Camera Question?

horseshoe_scott

Alright, I am a newbie to documenting our time on the water. I'm just used to taking pics of dead fish back at the dock. However I have a burning desire to start recording some video and taking a lot more pics in the water of our fishing experiences. I was just going to play it safe and get a GoPro Hero3, but should I spend the extra $$$ for a Canon EOS. What do you experienced photo folks think?

I have the Nikon Coolpix AW100 and it takes great pictures.

Very clear and does underwater too. I also have a GoPro Hero that is great for shooting videos, but doesn't take that great of pictures compared to my Nikon. I like having both, but if I had to choose one it would be the Nikon. That's just my preference, hope it helps.

GoPro and DSLR are two different animals....

Especially on the water....

GoPro is used for remote Video, meaning it can be mounted, etc. on just about anything..takes "good quality" video for memories and fun....

Pros - size, cost, water proof

Cons - can't play back easily and see your work, digital pics "OK" to "Good"

DSLR is a totally different experience...

You are talking serious gl*** being exposed to salt, etc. in the open.....I do alot of photos, but, filming video with splashs etc. from a moving boat is risky with a DSLR at best....without protective cases, etc.

An alternative is the Olympus Toughcamera....good camera, totally waterproof, nice video for one camera does all price.

If you are not into "Photogrpahy" it's a good alternative...

Or, go DSLR and GoPro for video...

dc

I have basically concluded to start off with the GoPro and see where I go from there. If I get seriously into the still pictures then I can spend the cash to get the right tools for that job.

Be sure to get some decent video editing software for your MAC or PC when you sue the GoPro..the basic stuff is very limited...

IMovie on Mac is pretty goo...

dc

Archived