2500 trailer tires

Tall Tails

I'm 9 months along with my 2500 and have already had 2 tires (both on rear axle) get worn unevenly and fail. One on right side, one on left. The trailer has never even left the county and has only seen highway speeds a handful of times. Figuring all my charters and fun trips there might be 2500-3000 miles on the tires. To me, this isn't acceptable. I have brought this to the attention of my dealer and am waiting for him to respond. So my question is.....is this normal to chew up the tires on the rear axle? I've always had single axle trailers in the past. I had planned several long distance towing trips over the summer but currently hesitant as I don't want to have to carry a truckload of spares with me. Appreciate the input.

If they are wearing unevenly, then it's likely an alignment issue.

If they are wearing evenly but FASTER, then it's likely a weight distribution issue.  Boat might have to come forward to balance it out.

I have my 2000V about as far forward as I can on my tandem trailer.  My rear tires have still been wearing faster,  but I'm getting over 10,000 miles on the rear set.

8 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

type of trailer?  dual or single axel?

type of tires?

dc

Ameritrail dual axle from the factory. It came with the boat. D rated 14" radials also came with the Ameritrail. I'm unsure of the tire manufacturer. 

I have the same thing with no issues.  My transom lines up with the transom straps. Maybe a touch back of them if anything.  If yours is the same, I still think its alignment.  Maybe wrong, but if set up like mine than that's the only difference that it could be. Not saying anything, just saying.

On 5/9/2018 at 2:00 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

go to kumho or maxxis and you wont have any more issues.

dc

I'd believe that if the wear was even across the tread. The tire was nearly bald on the inside half but the outer part of the tread was still quite deep. There's an issue. The longer the dealer ***ks around with it the more tires they are going to end up paying for. Calling daily and I'm starting to feel as though I'm getting put on the back burner while they wait on a reply from the tire manufacturer. We all know it's not the tires fault that its wearing fast and uneven......

59 minutes ago, Tall Tails said:

I'd believe that if the wear was even across the tread. The tire was nearly bald on the inside half but the outer part of the tread was still quite deep. There's an issue. The longer the dealer ***ks around with it the more tires they are going to end up paying for. Calling daily and I'm starting to feel as though I'm getting put on the back burner while they wait on a reply from the tire manufacturer. We all know it's not the tires fault that its wearing fast and uneven......

I have had two AmeriTrail dual axle trailers, one with a PF 2400 and now with a PF2200..... both were torsion axles. I have ran Tow Max, Kumho and Maxxis tires.....I have had tires blow out, separate, etc...while towing on the Interstates , probably because I tried to keep them because they still had tread on them. BUT, the only problem was when I first bought the 2200,( used)  the left rear tire on rear axle was half bald. I took it to a trailer shop here in Savannah to buy a new tire and he said there was an alignment problem, so he realigned the rear axle because it was almost 3/8"  closer to front axle on one side and not the other. Very simple means of which to measure it and it was causing the abnormal tire wear. He measured from the center of front axle to center of rear axle with the tires off. The holes to mount axles are slotted to allow adjustments if necessary. After he set it up....I have never had another issue with tires wearing unevenly. I also now change my trailer tires every two to three years to avoid having problems when towing on the Interstates. So far, so good. 

Its either an alignment  issue or you are towing with the tongue to high putting all the weight on rear axle and overloading the tires.

Happens all the time on lifted trucks without a drop hitch. Trailer needs to be level so axles can share load

On 5/11/2018 at 8:54 PM, ChrisB said:

Its either an alignment  issue or you are towing with the tongue to high putting all the weight on rear axle and overloading the tires.

Happens all the time on lifted trucks without a drop hitch. Trailer needs to be level so axles can share load

Mine is a standard Silverado 2 wd. The tongue weight is so much I actually had to raise the ball to get the trailer level. I don't believe I've got it too high. I could put a level on it but just eyeballing it...its either level or nose down just a bit.

On 5/11/2018 at 7:26 PM, fishmanjj said:

I have had two AmeriTrail dual axle trailers, one with a PF 2400 and now with a PF2200..... both were torsion axles. I have ran Tow Max, Kumho and Maxxis tires.....I have had tires blow out, separate, etc...while towing on the Interstates , probably because I tried to keep them because they still had tread on them. BUT, the only problem was when I first bought the 2200,( used)  the left rear tire on rear axle was half bald. I took it to a trailer shop here in Savannah to buy a new tire and he said there was an alignment problem, so he realigned the rear axle because it was almost 3/8"  closer to front axle on one side and not the other. Very simple means of which to measure it and it was causing the abnormal tire wear. He measured from the center of front axle to center of rear axle with the tires off. The holes to mount axles are slotted to allow adjustments if necessary. After he set it up....I have never had another issue with tires wearing unevenly. I also now change my trailer tires every two to three years to avoid having problems when towing on the Interstates. So far, so good. 

It's going to have to go to the shop soon. I believe this is probably the issue. Thanks for the info. I'll use it for sure. 

On 5/9/2018 at 3:12 PM, CaptDavis said:

I have the same thing with no issues.  My transom lines up with the transom straps. Maybe a touch back of them if anything.  If yours is the same, I still think its alignment.  Maybe wrong, but if set up like mine than that's the only difference that it could be. Not saying anything, just saying.

Mine is set up just like yours is. So we are saying the same thing. Lol

I made the trip to Amera Trail yesterday. I arrived bright and early and everyone was ready to fix my problem which was determined to be a misaligned axle. Scott, the owner went over the planned repair and I bugged out to find some breakfast and make a quick Walmart stop. If anyone ever has the chance to be in St. Cloud for breakfast I highly recommend the Coffee Cup restaurant. Huge portions of excellent grub at a very fair price. Returning to Amera Trail I found my trailer completed and the boat was being lowered back onto it. After a tour of the assembly line and some good conversation I was on my way home 3 hours after arriving. My hat is off to Scott and his crew. I can't begin to tell you how well I was treated or how pleased I was to be back on the road so quickly. If any of you have the chance to stop in to visit or get parts I highly recommend them. 

Archived