88 BoneFisher

KWConch

My new to me 88 BoneFisher. Needs a new transom. Any pointers on replacing it without pulling the cap? This will be my first transom rebuild so any info available would be greatly appreciated. There was work done by previous owner as you can see the raised bow deck and they gl***ed it to the floor so pulling the cap would be a little more time and money and I really don't have either one with a baby on the way! Thanks in advance.

1372438122-image.jpg.6ed3120691799e6bdb9

1372438863-image.jpg.bbc60a995e4f8df5f7a

1372438940-image.jpg.91da6bf1dd067425af8

1372438959-image.jpg.d27c1d1d6818a83e3b7

• 2 weeks later...

cool boat, you sure everything under the cap is in good shape? that would be the only reason i would suggest pulling it off. i do not know if you can rehab the transom without removing the cap. maybe someone will chime in with more knowledge. good luck and congrats on the baby!

• 2 weeks later...

New to the forum today, I am currently in the process of rebuilding a 1985 Super Red fisher. Which unfortuanately needs a new Transom. (will post pics soon). I am going to do a pourable transom. Google "SEACAST". It is not the cheapest route to go @$220 for 5 gallons, but may give you some Ideas without ripping the cap off. Another product is (ARJAY), which I have not done much home work on. But it is $176 for 5 gallons.

I did the transom on my SeaCraft with Arjay. Oh yeah, took 17 gallons. I took off the outer skin, cleaned all the old wood, replaced the outer skin then poured the Arjay, took about two weeks. After that was complete I then spent about a week fairing, sanding and painting. Rot will never be an issue.

I also know people who used Seacast without taking off the outer skin with very good results. Ya just gotta dig the rotten wood out of an 1 1/2" wide area. Of course the more rotten the wood the easier it is to do.

Good luck!!

Archived