2400/250 SHO gas usage

Bruce J

I have a 2016 2400TRS with a hardtop and a 250 SHO, and I’m running a 19” PowerTech prop. Trolling motor and 4 batteries. Just want to do a check-up on gas mileage, because it seems less to me than I would expect. There is no Yamaha Performance Bulletin for my set up. 

As an example, today I was running about 35mph at 4000 rpm and was getting about 3.1mpg. Half a tank of fuel, but otherwise just me and no gear on board. That’s about it’s most efficient level for a moderate cruise. If I bump it up to about 37mph at 4300 rpm, the mileage drops to about 2.8mpg. Top end for me is about 5600 rpm and 2.1mpg. How does that compare to what you guys are seeing?

I have a few more gas questions for you, too:

1.  What is the fuel capacity of a 2016 model 2400?  I have seen a few different figures. 

2. Does your Yamaha fuel gauge only show Available gas in 5 gallon increments?  That’s what mine seems to do. 

3. Have any of you hooked up a NMEA cable from your 250 to a Garmin to get better fuel flow data?

I rarely let the gas get below about half anyway, but plan to do some longer offshore runs this summer and just want to be sure about my range. 

According to the specs on the Pathfinder Boats site, your tank is 73 gallons.  I am turning a OFX3, 19" prop on my 225 SHO on a 2200V.  My Yamaha Command gauge shows something like 3.1 to 3.3 mpg at 4000 rpm's.  So, that is very similar to your performance.

4 hours ago, JEM said:

According to the specs on the Pathfinder Boats site, your tank is 73 gallons.  I am turning a OFX3, 19" prop on my 225 SHO on a 2200V.  My Yamaha Command gauge shows something like 3.1 to 3.3 mpg at 4000 rpm's.  So, that is very similar to your performance.

JEM 's Command Gauge only sees 4000 rpms for a very short time....its normally when he has fully pushed the throttle forward and heading towards 6000 rpm. You have to wear goggles when riding with him because the early morning gnats feel like tiny rocks hitting you at 60 mph and secondly if you are wearing singlasses..and turn your head, they will blow off. Last but not least....if you get hit with a dragon fly or what we call mosquito hawk at 60 mph, it will definitely leave a mark on your head. 

I have actually been with him when he was just idling....either in a no wake zone or approaching a fishing drop....JJ

Archived