Georgia Wild Shrimp

fishmanjj

Our Georgia shrimping fleet has diminished in size considerably, primarily due to cheap imported pond raised shrimp, the cost of maintenance on their boats , nets, gear, etc ....doesn't allow them to compete with the cheaper imported shrimp from China and other countries. If you have ever actually compared the difference in taste, texture and quality of the imported shrimp to our Georgia wild local shrimp...you know that there is no comparison. 

The Georgia coast was once home to thousands of shrimp boats from Savannah down to St Mary's....nowadays it's probably less than a hundred total on the entire Georgia coastline.  

Next time you get a chance to buy either import or local....support your local guys. 

IMG_0928.jpg

30 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

Our Georgia shrimping fleet has diminished in size considerably, primarily due to cheap imported pond raised shrimp, the cost of maintenance on their boats , nets, gear, etc ....doesn't allow them to compete with the cheaper imported shrimp from China and other countries. If you have ever actually compared the difference in taste, texture and quality of the imported shrimp to our Georgia wild local shrimp...you know that there is no comparison. 

The Georgia coast was once home to thousands of shrimp boats from Savannah down to St Mary's....nowadays it's probably less than a hundred total on the entire Georgia coastline.  

Next time you get a chance to buy either import or local....support your local guys. 

IMG_0928.jpg

Bubba Gump !!!!

I always buy Key West 11-15's when I can !!!!

dc

I have family on the Wilmington River in Savannah and visit them often.  I have definitely noticed less shrimp boats around.  Sad to hear about.  Anytime I buy seafood it has to be locally caught.  I will pay more for quality but sadly most people wont.  Great pic BTW. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2018 at 8:17 AM, fishmanjj said:

A hardy amen brother!  Local Georgia shrimp are 10 times better than imported, farmed junk from wherever.  

Remember, farm raised shrimp from Asia (where government regulations that protect consumers are non-existent) taste like (hmmm, what word can I use here that will not be auto-censored) feces because the shrimp spend their lives swimming in feces.  In addition, some Asian shrimp operations are worked by slave labor.  Georgia shrimpers work hard but love the work, no slavery involved.  In addition, Georgia shrimpers led the way in the use of turtle exclusion devices, i.e., devices incorporated in the nets to make sure that sea turtles do not get insnared.  Love those guys - love their shrimp!

5b51bae92fc69_DarienShrimpFleet.thumb.jpg.98908a049ea0303e6c0a2bfdaf973bf3.jpg

5b51c04153b33_Summer2010-27.thumb.jpg.bc7b024ead706b487574fdbe8551dba5.jpg

Georgia_Coast_Oct_2016-40.tif

Georgia_Coast_Oct_2016-38.tif

Archived