Flat Tire Tools

trf97

What is everyone carrying in the event of having a flat tire?

I have:
2 ton bottle jack
24" Pull handle with correct socket as well as T handle
Block of wood
Spare hub and grease gun

Is there something better/faster/safer than the bottle jack for a single axel trailer?

I've been living dangerously - just the basic jack in the truck, a spare tire, and a prayer.   I'd like to amend my life because, statistically, I'm due. If anyone has links to the appropriate, basic emergency items, I"m going to correct my errant ways.   Add to that list a clever way to keep all this stuff in one place that keeps the grease gun from leaking all over my truck and I'll nominate you for a Nobel.

While towing my boat to lake Sinclair yesterday I had to put my plan into action, only to find a major flaw. My lock on the cable around the spare was corroded and the key would not go in the lock. I tried to tap it in and the key ended up broken. I did find that the Torsen axle is better than the old spring type for dropping a tire and running on three tires. 

As I buy another cable lock I will put on the brass combination lock. 

What I did was when I changed my axle with a new one (same manufacturer) I cut the spindle off the old axle and welded it to the front riser of the trailer that has the crank on it. I had the old hubs because the new axle came with new hubs, put new bearings and races and seal then LOADED it with grease and then a new dust cap and slid it on the spindle I had welded to the trailer. Put my spare tire on that hub, chained it up and did not have to worry about loading and unloading it. High enough on the trailer it never got wet launching & loading and was always available.

Rubber gloves, don't forget the rubber gloves!

1 hour ago, trf97 said:

What is everyone carrying in the event of having a flat tire?

I have:
2 ton bottle jack
24" Pull handle with correct socket as well as T handle
Block of wood
Spare hub and grease gun

Is there something better/faster/safer than the bottle jack for a single axel trailer?

I store everything in a milk crate. 

1- Bottle jack

2- foot long piece of 4x4

3- 3/4" piece of plywood cut to fit in floor of crate (used to hold jack on uneven ground)

4- Breaker bar with correct lug socket

5- extra hub, seals and bearings pre-greased (W/ new cotter key)

6- Large adjustable and a pair of diagonal cutters

7- Throw away rags and rubber gloves

I top off grease before leaving on a road trip so I rarely bring grease gun.  I store mine in a heavy duty zip lock. 

You can cut your tools, time, and effort/aggravation way down by mounting a spindle to your trailer as mentioned above. Keep the spare hub and wheel/tire on the spare spindle and just swap it out as an assembly. If you get a flat all you need is a screwdriver to pry off whatever dust cover/bearing protector you have, a pair of channel locks for the spindle nut, and pliers for the cotter pin. Pull the entire assembly off and throw it in the back of the truck and off you go.

Bottle jack, 2 ft long 8x8 with a ramp cut one side (multi purpose) and for Christmas I bought a battery powered Rigid impact wrench....not sure how I made it this long without one, best thing since sliced bread. I can change a tire in about 2 minutes.

19 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

I store everything in a milk crate. 

1- Bottle jack

2- foot long piece of 4x4

3- 3/4" piece of plywood cut to fit in floor of crate (used to hold jack on uneven ground)

4- Breaker bar with correct lug socket

5- extra hub, seals and bearings pre-greased (W/ new cotter key)

6- Large adjustable and a pair of diagonal cutters

7- Throw away rags and rubber gloves

I top off grease before leaving on a road trip so I rarely bring grease gun.  I store mine in a heavy duty zip lock. 

I have oil bath hubs.....so, no need for grease...but, I do carry a quart of oil and a new cap....if I loose my oil, i probably can limp a while to a see spot...

Most IMPORTANT.....BREAK YOUR HUB BOLTS EVERY FEW MONTHS AND SPRAY A CORROSION BLOCK ON OR GREASE THE THREADS....

nothing worse than a flat and you can't get the rim off as the bolts are frozen !!!  

as well, I carry a couple large towels to use in the event you have to sit in wet grass or rocky areas and a few large black plastic bags as well.

Final, I carry a commercial bolt cutter under the seat in the back in the event I have to get really serious :)

dc

27 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I have oil bath hubs.....so, no need for grease...but, I do carry a quart of oil and a new cap....if I loose my oil, i probably can limp a while to a see spot...

Most IMPORTANT.....BREAK YOUR HUB BOLTS EVERY FEW MONTHS AND SPRAY A CORROSION BLOCK ON OR GREASE THE THREADS....

nothing worse than a flat and you can't get the rim off as the bolts are frozen !!!  

as well, I carry a couple large towels to use in the event you have to sit in wet grass or rocky areas and a few large black plastic bags as well.

Final, I carry a commercial bolt cutter under the seat in the back in the event I have to get really serious :)

dc

Yep, some towels and a painters tarp to keep you out of the sand spurs, gravel and dirt. A good source of light so you can see what your doing in the dark. I had to do one at midnight one time and the mosquitoes ate me alive. Rolling around in the dirt in the dark was no fun. It got even more entertaining when I found out I was squatting down in a fire ant pile.

OUCH!!! You ever notice when you are in a fire ant pile they will not bite until they have a minimum quota of ants per square inch of your skin? Then on a signal from their fearless leader they all start biting at the same time!!! :)  

Another thing I found that works real well, brake caliper grease. It is thick and does not soften up when heated, I put this on my lugs and then put the lug nut on and then apply the grease again on the exposed threads. It comes with the brush in the can so application is easey peasey and will not wash away when dunking the trailer. Oh, and gloves, did I mention gloves?

31 minutes ago, DonV said:

OUCH!!! You ever notice when you are in a fire ant pile they will not bite until they have a minimum quota of ants per square inch of your skin? Then on a signal from their fearless leader they all start biting at the same time!!! :)  

very true ^^^^^^^^^^

I always seek out the one fearless leader with the whistle around his neck. Don V knows his ants!

13 hours ago, blackacre said:

In addition to the above, I carry an electric impact wrench. Sure does make life easy changing tires with rusted lug nuts.

Cordless, I’m guessing?  Brand and size?

I have a small 18v Bosch but I don’t think it would be much of a match for hubs. 

Archived