Fuel Water Separator

Scout6

I change my fuel water separator about every other month (I know it’s excessive). Was talking to a friend that uses one with a bleed value. So the googan question of the day. Does anyone use that type and can give yay or nay if they are any good? And if you do, did you replace the whole system or do they make one to fit existing? 03’ PF with a 04’ Yamaha 150VMAX. 

Looks like you guys have used Racor filters. I was hopeful I wouldn’t have to change the whole system and just spin something like this on. Any experience? Also, will a Racor filter thread on a system that uses Sierra filters? Wishful thinking..

05BE0CF4-3A34-4047-9263-264E71388475.jpeg

If your changing your filter every 2 months, I would just stick with a cheaper sierra filter.  The bowl will be overkill, unless your buying fuel often at questionable marinas and getting lots of water.

You can always spin off a filter, dump the water, and re-install.

43 minutes ago, RodWorks said:

If your changing your filter every 2 months, I would just stick with a cheaper sierra filter.  The bowl will be overkill, unless your buying fuel often at questionable marinas and getting lots of water.

You can always spin off a filter, dump the water, and re-install.

Good idea!

The biggest issue with mounting below deck in the bilge area, where mine is located by the way, is the filter housing actually rusting/corroding. I keep mine sprayed with corrosion inhibitor and put grease on the threads, mounting threads and bowl threads to keep it from seizing. 

I have had 120 gallons pumped in a brand new tank so far and when I checked it the bowl was half full of water, so the quick visual inspection is nice. To be honest, must of us our in our bilges before and after every trip so if there was an issue we should be able to spot it.

9 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

OP: are you finding water in your filter or just super cautious?  You can also go to the Yamaha big blue....the are taller and very efficient...

dc

I often find small amounts of water in my filter. I’m guessing it’s due to condensation from the tank. Think I read that somewhere, because I don’t store the boat with a full tank. Probably sits with half of tank most the time. So yeah, that’s the reason for being over cautious with the swaps. 

It is not the fuel inlet & outlet (manifold) I was referring too, if your response was to what I posted Bama, it was the actual filter I was referring too. They rust and corrode quick when stored in dark damp spaces, kinda like us! You are correct though, they do make SS ones but I stripped my aluminum one and zinc chromated it and put a finish coat along with brass fittings.

If one had an inboard and never regularly checked the engine compartment and the filter got a rust hole in it, that would not be good!

Archived