2200 vs 2400

NPRedfisher18

Curious as to how much the ride differs between a 22 and 24. Specifically offshore capabilities. I'm pretty familiar with the 22,  never rode a 24. How far would you comfortably go in a 24, on nice weather days of course. Currently in a Redfisher 18, but I need more boat. Thinking about a 24 to hold me over until there's more used 2500's out there. Thanks.

I have been in both boats extensively, and the ride in the 24 is far superior in a heavy chop, wind, running tide etc. Obviously the 24 is a heavier boat and is a much more comfortable ride overall. Plenty of room in the 24 over the 22. Would not hesitate to go offshore in the 24, having said that you have to pick your days. Even so you certainly  have more options offshore with the 24.  Others that have a 24 will chime in and have more experience than me.

I basically mirror Joe’s opinion. I have had the 22 and a couple 24’s. I can still remember the first time I took out the 24 which was only days after selling my 22. Since I was used to my 22 the difference was very apparent. Even my wife immediately noticed the difference which surprised me.  That said they are both awesome hulls and I miss how much fun the 22 was to drive. I do take mine offshore occasionally but I definitely pick my days. Here in TX the bay system and offshore can turn real quick. The 24 is a noticeably larger boat and the extra 2 feet definitely helps with rough seas. 

On 7/7/2018 at 9:17 PM, NPRedfisher18 said:

Currently in a Redfisher 18, but I need more boat. Thinking about a 24 to hold me over until there's more used 2500's out there.

I went from a RF18 to a 22PF....completely different experience...I have ridden and fished a 24 and it's a beast compared to the 22.

Depending on your style of fishing, the 24 floats about the same, but, if you come into a sandbar, it's not coming off....well at least easily....neither will a PF22, but, I'd say you would rather be in the Pathfinder to push off....

Ride is different in a hard chop....and fishing room 2' more on the bow...the stern is about the same as the PF22...I measured before I bought my 22...

If shallow draft is not an issue....e.g. more than 80% of the time, then a 24 will be a better ride....if nimble handling, etc. with a TM is important, then I'd go 22PF.

dc

I have a 22 and we spent all last week in Islamorada. Trolled out at the hump and all around.  I have never been in a 24, but my thought would be the days you want to be offshore, either is fine.  The days that aren’t good, the 24 isn’t going to make a difference.  Last Friday we didn’t even make it to the reef line before turning around.  

On 7/7/2018 at 9:17 PM, NPRedfisher18 said:

Curious as to how much the ride differs between a 22 and 24. Specifically offshore capabilities. I'm pretty familiar with the 22,  never rode a 24. How far would you comfortably go in a 24, on nice weather days of course. Currently in a Redfisher 18, but I need more boat. Thinking about a 24 to hold me over until there's more used 2500's out there. Thanks.

I've owned both and fished offshore the South Georgia coast with both....the 22 is actually 22' 2" and the 24 is actually 23'11"..... so there is only 1'9" diff,  both have the exact beam of 8' 6".  

Neither will ride anything as compared to the new 2500. The bay boats just do not have the V to cut the chop that the 2500 has. 

That being said....both the 22 and 24 bay boats are very good and substantial hulls for fishing offshore....just pick your days accordingly.

The conditions change very quick after you get past the 10 mile mark offshore..... 

8 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

I've owned both and fished offshore the South Georgia coast with both....the 22 is actually 22' 2" and the 24 is actually 23'11"..... so there is only 1'9" diff,  both have the exact beam of 8' 6".  

Neither will ride anything as compared to the new 2500. The bay boats just do not have the V to cut the chop that the 2500 has. 

That being said....both the 22 and 24 bay boats are very good and substantial hulls for fishing offshore....just pick your days accordingly.

The conditions change very quick after you get past the 10 mile mark offshore..... 

Yeah, the more I look, the more I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and find a 25 or 26. 

Archived