Camera advice for newbie

jason p

I know there are some serious photographers on the forum so I wanted some advice. Looking to get a decent camera and lens set-up for shooting birds, tailing reds, etc... I've been doing some research and have looked at the Nikon D5200 the most.

Would this be more / less than I would ever use? Like most people I want something that won't be outdated in 2 years, but I also don't want to have a ton of money wrapped up in this either. I would also entertain buying used, from someone on the forum that may be upgrading but I don't know enough to buy one off Craigslist, ebay, etc...

I know there are some serious photographers on the forum so I wanted some advice. Looking to get a decent camera and lens set-up for shooting birds, tailing reds, etc... I've been doing some research and have looked at the Nikon D5200 the most.

Would this be more / less than I would ever use? Like most people I want something that won't be outdated in 2 years, but I also don't want to have a ton of money wrapped up in this either. I would also entertain buying used, from someone on the forum that may be upgrading but I don't know enough to buy one off Craigslist, ebay, etc...

The 5200 is more camera than the average weekend shooter will ever use...

It will last you 10 yrs or more...

If you want to shoot tail'n reds, etc....you'll need some telephoto..

Nikon's new 70-200 F4 has gotten some good reviews.

If you want to go non Nikon, Sigma has been my choice and I've been happy....to really be able to see tail'n reds, you'll need some distance, but, that will cost $$$$

the other option is the 18-200 which is a great all around telephoto by Nikon....but, it's got a variable F stop and runs down pretty low at 200mm, meaning you need lots of light or you need to push your ISO...which you can do on the 5200...

You can be safe pushing ISO on a 5200 to probably 1600-3200 without huge amount of grainyness for average 5x7 or even 8x10's....on the screen, you won't noice a huge difference.

If you have apple, invest in Apeture...and learn to shoot RAW and in Apeture mode (you control the F-stop)....

If you have a table or Ipad, there are lots of great apps on how to use the cameras..invest the money, you learn alot...

Don't forget about a good Flash...the new SB300 has gotten some decent reviews for the $$$...check compatibilty on the 5200.

BTW, Adorama.com and BHPhoto.com are my two top spots for buying lenses and cameras.

amazon has some deals...stay away from Craig's list or Ebay....

I recommend to only buy new...you don't know if a camera has been dropped....

buy the body seperat from the lenses if you decide to go 18-200...you won't use the kit 18-55 lense and it's a waste.

Get Extreme pro cards....16G min, buy several..

dc

Sweet, another hobby costing thousands of dollars with infinite variables that can never be perfected. I can't wait to get started. Thank you for the advice and the photos on your website are great.

BTW, great website for Nikon information is

Nikonians.org

If you go Nikon, worth the $25 a year for the membership..you can join for free as well and just read posts...

Very good technical info on all types of camera.

dc

Cannon, NIkon....at this day and age, it doesnt matter.... pick your flavor and run with it.....

my suggestion is spend your money on GL***....

dont waste your $ on anything other than 2.8 gl***...

I would tend to agree...but that ***umes you are going to continue in the hobby...and to take advantage....you'd need to go FX.....most 2.8 gl*** costs over $2200 /piece of gl***...I know, I have the trinity and several others :);)

Sort of like thinking you like flats fishing and go out and buy a HPXV with a 150....slightly different than just buying a used redfisher to see if you enjoy it.... :) :)

dc

Sweet, another hobby costing thousands of dollars with infinite variables that can never be perfected. I can't wait to get started. Thank you for the advice and the photos on your website are great.

Another thought....BTW, check out COSTCO or SAM's club..sometimes they run specials on the 5200 with a telephoto...something to consider..

Archived