Hewes back rest

Brent B

Ok guys and gals,

My wife and me are tired of no back rest on the 95 redfisher. I have come up with a very good design to make one that folds out of the way when not in use and takes up no space on the back deck. I will be incorporating cup holders and possible tack storage into this design as well. Some mok-up designs with pvc will be started tonight. I am fairly confident that I can makes these so they fit and bolt directly onto the lappy style decks. I have been researching deck layouts and I'm trying to come up with a design that does not have to be custom made to every boat and does not have to be welded to the polling platform. Pics to come soon. What do you guys think? Anyone interested?

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:53 PM, Brent B said:

Ok guys and gals,

My wife and me are tired of no back rest on the 95 redfisher. I have come up with a very good design to make one that folds out of the way when not in use and takes up no space on the back deck. I will be incorporating cup holders and possible tack storage into this design as well. Some mok-up designs with pvc will be started tonight. I am fairly confident that I can makes these so they fit and bolt directly onto the lappy style decks. I have been researching deck layouts and I'm trying to come up with a design that does not have to be custom made to every boat and does not have to be welded to the polling platform. Pics to come soon. What do you guys think? Anyone interested?

This is what my old boat had.  Worked great and slid out in a second when not needed.  Taco marine makes one that looks very similar. Slides into two flush mount rod holders.  The bottom of the rod holders are sealed so no water enters the hatch.  The legs of the backrest swivel for easy storage.

IMG_0761.PNG

IMG_0762.PNG

Thank for the pics! I have seen that design before and it does work but........it has some draw backs. I'm designing one that will flip up out of the way against the polling platform. You wont have to install any rod holders in your hatch lids. Plus, with the flush mount rod holders mounted in the hatch lids, you loose space in the hatch it self because the rod holder hangs down into the hatch so low. Also with that set up you cant open just one hatch at a time. The one I am making you will be able to access all the hatches whether the back rest is in the down or stowed position. I've got the prototype made up for my boat and tweaking it as we speak. I think everyone will really like this new setup. Like I said I also plan on incorporating some tackle storage and a cup holder so when in the stow position so you have a place to rest your beer when casting from the back deck!

Archived