Boca Grande Area Red Tide Question

Davej

Heading down to Boca Grande the weekend of October 6th. Can anyone give me a real, "On the Water" Red Tide Report for that area? I've read all the current reports and maps from the FWC, but I'd really like to hear it from people who are fishing that area. I plan on spending time inside, from Boca Grande south to Redfish Pass. 

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Davej

Davej, I've spend most of the last 6 months at my condo in Englewood (12 miles north of B.G.). The Red Tide is still present all along the SW Fl. coastline. Effects of the Red Tide can change in a matter of 3 or 4 days depending on ocean currents and wind direction. One day there are no dead fish floating and  lots of Mullet, Ladyfish and minnows for bait. Three days later, can't find any bait and dead fish floating all over the place.

Hate to be a party pooper, but you are just taking your chances when visiting S.W. Fl. right now. Red Tide conditions can change in a matter of 3 or 4 days.  If you don't mind the ride, I've heard that fishing is still good around the El Jobein bridge (north end of Charlotte Harbor). Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the info BrownBear and SCFD. Still planning on going, but will be running way inside to avoid the mess. Hopefully this east wind will push the funk off shore a little more. If all else fails, I'll be forced to make the run farther south. I'll post a report when I get back.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 6:21 AM, Davej said:

No health issues yet, but thanks for the warning. If it gets too bad, I'll be forced to lay up at Cabbage Key, Barnacle Phil's or Gasparilla Marina.............Darn !!!!

How was the water when you were down?  Looking to get down there soon, maybe this weekend.  Was there bait around?

The water was really bad!!!  You could barley see the bottom in 2 feet of water from Boca Grande south to Redfish Pass. Tried about a dozen bait spots in that area, and found none! I spoke with a few guides who were fishing with Pinfish, and they said that's all they could find. I did however rail the Redfish and Snook on the outgoing tide all three days, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, on artificial's.  The Snook were so hungry they were inhaling the baits. The Reds were scattered, and all over slot. The were taking anything with gold in it with a lot of flash due to the murkiness of the water. Just to give you an idea of how bad the water was, there were no boats at the Boca Grande Sand Bar on any of the three weekend days, and on Saturday, there were only about 6 boats at Cabbage Key for lunch. My wife and I had the entire Innlets Hotel to ourselves.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:30 AM, Davej said:

You could barley see the bottom in 2 feet of water from Boca Grande south to Redfish Pass.

It was like that all winter in the southern part of the Sound. Had to travel almost to Port Charlotte to get out of it, and even around Burnt Store some days you couldn't see bottom in 4'. Down south we've taken to calling it Sugar Water.

Stayed on Boca Grande last week (October 16-19). On water 2 days. Ran south across Boca Grande channel gulf side along Cayo Costa to North Captiva.  Lot of bait pods, brown pelicans, spotted snook cruising beach shallows.5AE5CC66-6B41-45DB-B13D-925FB2316384.thumb.jpeg.7665a81af970bc468bbcf7135d40b582.jpeg

Photo taken on October 17, 2018- Cayo Costa Island.

Bayside and interior water is dark but clear in shallow areas.

Archived