Looking for leaning post storage box/tray

HighseasSeminole

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
8 hours ago, Chief5130 said:

Just get some starboard and make one.

DSC_0022.jpeg

That looks good. What thickness starboard did you use? Can you share any tips on putting the stuff together? Have used it for hatches and mounting plates but never built a box out of it. Can you share any more pics of how it’s constructed and attached to the leaning post? 

1 hour ago, PGolz said:

That looks good. What thickness starboard did you use? Can you share any tips on putting the stuff together? Have used it for hatches and mounting plates but never built a box out of it. Can you share any more pics of how it’s constructed and attached to the leaning post? 

I will try to get more photos.  It is 1/2" starboard.

Before I get into how I made mine, I feel I must comment on the video above.  Two things I saw, or did not see that I would do.  First is I believe he use sheet metal screws to hold the box together.  I would never do that.  Sooner or latter the material will crack.  This material is great in compression but not so good in tension.  All of those fasteners should be drilled and tapped.  Next is the fasteners that hold the box to the aluminum frame should be installed with anti-seize.  They might have to be removed some day and there is a good chance without anti-seize that they are there for good.

First thing I did was to install the two end caps.  I made a template from plywood to get a good fit around all of the leaning post structure.  Using this template and a pattern router bit I used double face tape and taped the template to a piece of starboard that use cut just oversize and routed.  Routing also make for a very clean and smooth edge. Then I made the sides and bottom to fit.  All of the fasteners are 10-24 SS machine screws.

I have done a lot of starboard fabrication for myself and others and how I build now is a result of learning what works and what does not.

If you need any more info, just ask.

IMG_3752.jpeg

IMG_3756.jpeg

IMG_3754.jpeg

IMG_3755.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 1:08 PM, Chief5130 said:

Before I get into how I made mine, I feel I must comment on the video above.  Two things I saw, or did not see that I would do.  First is I believe he use sheet metal screws to hold the box together.  I would never do that.  Sooner or latter the material will crack.  This material is great in compression but not so good in tension.  All of those fasteners should be drilled and tapped.  Next is the fasteners that hold the box to the aluminum frame should be installed with anti-seize.  They might have to be removed some day and there is a good chance without anti-seize that they are there for good.

First thing I did was to install the two end caps.  I made a template from plywood to get a good fit around all of the leaning post structure.  Using this template and a pattern router bit I used double face tape and taped the template to a piece of starboard that use cut just oversize and routed.  Routing also make for a very clean and smooth edge. Then I made the sides and bottom to fit.  All of the fasteners are 10-24 SS machine screws.

I have done a lot of starboard fabrication for myself and others and how I build now is a result of learning what works and what does not.

If you need any more info, just ask.

Great info, very helpful and seeing the pictures gave me some good ideas of what I want to do. Are the holes in the aluminum tubing tapped as well?

I have a router but am new to using it, what type of bit do you need to trace a template like you did? Are you using a router table?

Last, how is this brush holder made? I see multiple layesr of board but no fasteners holding it together.

On 2/14/2022 at 1:08 PM, Chief5130 said:

IMG_3756.jpeg

Thanks!