Oyster Rash

all wet

While inspecting my axles, I see that I'm getting quite a bit of oyster rash on the hull.  Mostly on the center section but some beyond what you can see in the photo.  Nothing has broken through the gel coat, but I'm feeling like I should get it filled, sanded and smoothed out.  Also noticed the "cheese grater" is coming off.

What do you guys do when you get this kind of rash?  Leave it, take it somewhere, work on it yourself?

Oyster Rash.JPG

Cheese Grater.JPG

I fixed mine, myself. It wasn't as bad as yours is, but it wasn't much better. I didn't care if it was a perfect match, so I used plain white gel, which is WAAAAY more white than the hull is. It's tedious and not fun....but it didn't cost me more than $30 and a LOT of time on a piece of cardboard. I mixed up the gel and applied it with a cheap chip/paint brush and came back and sanded it down with 60 grit, then finer as I got closer to where I wanted it to be. I'd take it somewhere if I had to do it again. Someone can spray it, and buff it out a heck of a lot faster and my time is worth something, having a 3 y/o.

Replace the axles or it will be road rash next.

The op bottom looks like mine. If I don't see fur I just keep going.

If the sides and top look good never look at the bottom.:P

Brad M hit it above. It's a lot of work. Hire a pro.

Last but not least, if you don't like the way I drive stay off the sidewalk.

Don't take this wrong, however your trailer axles looks like they're on their last legs, the cheese grater is beyond useless and your hull has had a rough life....don't show us anymore. There are people like Ron in Atlanta who's boat is a showpiece that would have serious heart issues.......... :) 

2 hours ago, Vapor Trail said:

Dang what do you guys do (hit) to make it look like that.   I’d be freaking out with one scratch 

My 2010 hull has about 8000 hours of float time in skinny water. 1500 hundred plus running at high speeds.

It takes a few barnacle coated sticks floating at dark thirty, coming loose at anchor, a few more times getting wind blown off the trolling motor while creeping some edges of rocks and shell bars and getting piled up on them.

The OP runs in rough country and fishes skinny last we talked. It's gonna happen if you do.

Very repairable and not structural at all. The biggest challenge is it being on the bottom of the boat. Very hard to work on. The cheese grater is exposed to extreme pressure. I have lost a couple.

I will say I haven't quite got mine as bad as his is but give me some more time. 

FYI that cheese grater situation is bad news  

2 of those 6 holes on mine letting water (way more than one would think) into bilge with the screws in cause there is no backing to screw into....Just the bilge.  Horrible design. Guess someone from factory used too long of screws.   I ended up having to grind em out some and pack full with marine Tex and using shorter screws.

I honestly don’t even know if it actually stopped leak cause boat was stolen after I fixed it. Jokes on them.... cause I had bilge pump fuses pullled while I fillled it up looking for the leak. 

12 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

The OP runs in rough country and fishes skinny last we talked. It's gonna happen if you do.

Correct, fishing the big bend Cedar Key to up near Suwannee.  Sometimes over in the St. Augustine creeks.  Loaded with oyster bars.  Google Earth the area just north of Cedar Key you'll see what I mean.  I've never hit any under power thank goodness.  It's the submerged oyster bars that sneak up on you while on the trolling motor or drifting.

I can do fiberglass work, but I darn sure don't like thinking about working upside down in tight quarters under the trailer.  Plus not being able to get the areas that are under the bunks.  That coupled with the cheese grater needing to be replaced, I will take to a shop and have them refurbish the bottom.  Then try to be more wary of the submerged bars in the future.  

Replacement axles already in the works.  Waiting on Ameratrail to get back with me.  I was thinking they could find the exact axle size, torsion angle, etc. from the VIN number and save me from taking measurements.

And I have been reading the posts here about some members cheese grater screws being too long and penetrating the hull and getting leaks.  Nothing leaking on mine, but will have the fiberglass shop change the grater and will have a discussion about screw length for sure.

On 10/19/2018 at 6:35 PM, Vapor Trail said:

Dang what do you guys do (hit) to make it look like that.   I’d be freaking out with one scratch 

FISH! Ha....Yes sir that is a boat that gets on the redfish! Welcome to N Florida lol. Mine looks same way cuz thats where the feeshes are! And with about 5' of tides every 6 hours...now you seen them bars...and then you don't.

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 8.14.11 PM.png

Something is on the move at 11 o’clock from the tm. Fished your neck of the woods on Saturday, and you’ve got some man sized tarpon right at the mouth of a popular marina. Dang things were longer than I am tall, Todd. 

All wet, the worst part of the deal is realizing how out of shape you are running a sander, buffer and polisher over head from your back. 

On 10/20/2018 at 10:18 AM, all wet said:

Correct, fishing the big bend Cedar Key to up near Suwannee.  Sometimes over in the St. Augustine creeks.  Loaded with oyster bars.  Google Earth the area just north of Cedar Key you'll see what I mean.  I've never hit any under power thank goodness.  It's the submerged oyster bars that sneak up on you while on the trolling motor or drifting.

I can do fiberglass work, but I darn sure don't like thinking about working upside down in tight quarters under the trailer.  Plus not being able to get the areas that are under the bunks.  That coupled with the cheese grater needing to be replaced, I will take to a shop and have them refurbish the bottom.  Then try to be more wary of the submerged bars in the future.  

Replacement axles already in the works.  Waiting on Ameratrail to get back with me.  I was thinking they could find the exact axle size, torsion angle, etc. from the VIN number and save me from taking measurements.

And I have been reading the posts here about some members cheese grater screws being too long and penetrating the hull and getting leaks.  Nothing leaking on mine, but will have the fiberglass shop change the grater and will have a discussion about screw length for sure.

If you are swapping the axles yourself.....go to Tie Down Engineering website and look up your axle. They build about 75% of all axles for boat and horse trailers.  No need to pay AmeriTrail an extra 35% for the same axles.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:15 PM, triplec said:

FISH! Ha....Yes sir that is a boat that gets on the redfish! Welcome to N Florida lol. Mine looks same way cuz thats where the feeshes are! And with about 5' of tides every 6 hours...now you seen them bars...and then you don't.

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 8.14.11 PM.png

Yes indeed!  Fernandina Bch and specifically Kingsley Creek is a minefield. Thought I knew them all but after hurricane Matthew they seem to grow new ones.

Archived