Replace motor or whole rig??

smboudreaux

I picked up a 96 lt20 with a 98 200 vmax earlier this year for an insanely cheap price.  the boat is in decent shape for a 20 year old boat.  no major damage.   couple weeks ago the motor gave up.  needs a rebuild.  a local guy gave me a ballpark of 2500 to rebuild my powerhead if it wasn't to torn up.  he called me today with bad new.  several of the head bolt were breaking off and he was positive more would break off on the water side.  this leading to the machine shop having to charge a small fortune to deal with the broken bolts.  I was quoted around 5500 for a reman powerhead and around 7500 for a new head from Yamaha.  also quoted about 16500 for a new sho 200.  at what point does it make sense to just cut my loses?  I can still sell the boat without a motor for a profit.   I like the boat but I do not love the boat.  I like to idea of older boats because I don't have to work so much about damage.  on the flip side I would really enjoy the reliability of new power.  having trouble justify dropping 16k or even 6k on a boat a boat that I paid a fraction of that for

Weeeeee...that is a beast of a boat. Fresh power and she should be solid from now on! Had buddy with same dilemma couple years back on his Hewes 18 LT....but he loved his....He re-built and thats almost exactly what it cost. It was OEM block but it let go few years later so he re-powered with new Yamaha F150 this summer and its a very different (and much faster 55+) boat yet still floats just as skinny.

I have a 96 hull and engine so my day is coming but my mindset when it does is not to hang used power. Yet...lol...I am going to have a 2 stroke Pro V to sell if she doesn't die first.  Shooting for spring cause those 175 SHO's are hard to find now. They do have the extended warranty at no charge now too and thats what I am striving for. I was skeptical until I priced a new complete rig. Suddenly even Yamahas aren't so expensive ha. OR at least just buying an engine isn't compared to new sled....and since you have very little in it...you should be able to hang that SHO and sell it if you had to and re-coup. 

Its not "just the powerhead" though on engine that age. New OEM lower unit is 2500.00, Tilt/trim is prob close to 1K and other parts that 20 years have taken their toll on...and that oil pumping....if you do re-power he parted out his blown engine for a couple of thousand I think though so even though she isn't running its still worth some coins in your pocket. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 9.20.59 PM.png

I was in the same boat! I ended up getting a new motor and it was the best decision ever. Change all fuel lines while you are there. Look at the connection to the drain of the live bait well. Mine was failing sending water into the hull and from the forum I have seen many other people with the same issue. I also had a bayfisher with that issue. Check gas tank. then enjoy the heck out of it. Its a great ride with a reliable motor. I put a 150 4 stroke Merc and I love it. 

1993 LT20

I ended up going with a reman powerhead, water ready for 5700.  That includes cleaning the carbs and going through the remainder of the original parts.  Originally picked up the boat in may of this year.   We've used it for the summer and for what i do it works out great.   I was really really close to just getting the 200 sho.  Warranty, 4 stroke, dependability. My gut said get the new motor and have less to worry about but the 10k difference swayed me.  

Archived