Power Tech Pro3 Propeller

Beak Boater

5 hours ago, Beak Boater said:

Anyone running one yet? Talked to Marcus about running one on my 18RF,  we talked about pitches and what I was looking to accomplish with the prop change. Wondering if anyone has run one yet. Ill Surly report back with my results, when I get it.

Have you already ordered one?  If so, what pitch did you decide to go with?  The website says it's available in 19 and 21 pitch with more to come.  Is an 18 pitch available yet?  Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

1 hour ago, VsteveV said:

I’d be very interested on feed back with the RF 18. I would assume a 4 blade 16 or 17 pitch.?

I'm pretty sure PT has only released the PRO3 3-blade.  To my knowledge, the PRO4 4-blade version is not available yet.

Marcus, says right now all they are producing are the odd pitches. I wanted to try a 17 pitch, Pro 3 and after running some numbers from my Spitfire that's a 17 4 blade, we decided to try a 19 Pro 3. The 18 would probably be perfect, but not available yet. I have ordered the prop through my local dealer, just waiting for it to arrive. When It does I am planning on running the SpitFire 17 and the Pro 3 19 back to back, and look at the results. Of course I will share them with the board.

As soon as I told my dealer to order the Pro3, someone else decided to order some NW winds. Havent got the prop yet, but we do have 15-20 mph gusts from the NW on my test water.  Hoping to get a window to do some testing once it arrives.

• Like 1

Dunno about the Pro 3, but we're running the PTR4 4-blade on the 115 VMax SHO on our 2017 18RF. With the jack plate up an inch and a little tilt we're turning 6300 RPM and 48 mph with 2 people onboard and a full tank of fuel. Plenty good enough for us. Hole shots are outstanding with a little tiny bit of down on the trim tabs.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my Pro 3 from the dealer today. Its late so I cant do any testing today, hope to get out tomorrow an run it to get some numbers and thoughts on how it runs. I unboxed it and took a couple of pictures next to the K16 I have that was on the boat.

First image Pro 3 is on the left K16 on the right. Second image the same.  Hope I can get the Pro 3 in the water tomorrow and report back.

20181112_160349.jpg

20181112_160428.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a long time coming.....weather, holidays, visitors, ect. Seems everything that could keep me off the water did. Finally made time today to take the 18 RF out with the Pro 3.  Conditions were less than perfect, but I have been fighting that for weeks it seems.

First impressions....oh yea cushionlock hub, when you put it in gear you hear it and feel it. Could have something to do with the larger pitch. Getting on plane I could tell that I was swinging a lot of pitch by the way the motor sounded when I got on plane. Don't have time to plane but was a touch slower than the 17 Pitch Spitfire. Once the boat fell over the difference between the 3 blade Pro and the 4 Blade Spitfire was very obvious. The Pro carried the bow and always wanted to reduce the wetted surface. The water was braking behind the seat at 30 mph with level trim on the motor. The Spit fire requires me to adjust the trim to alter the bow height. Winds were blowing 10-15 mph so I was searching for some calm water  to stretch the boat out. Finally found a patch and the boat accelerated the best if I over trimmed it and slipped the prop then lowered the trim as the boat picked up speed. Accelerating from a roll with the motor in a level neutral position the boat felt a little lazy, the first sign that I might be running to much pitch at least for me. Keep in mind I am the only one in the boat, at 205 lbs, three batteries in the console, and a trolling motor on the bow and 3/4 tank of gas. The boat responded with the fastest run of 45.7 at 5800 rpm. The prop was fast, carried the boat well, boat tracked solid and did nothing weird, even with the cross winds that I was running into. The numbers running slower were difficult to get because of the chop moving the boat, but the prop was locked up solid even in the lower rpm ranges. The Pro 3 felt a lot like my K16 on steroids. The boat handles and runs very close to the same. I did notice the boat with the K16 wants to hop in some speed  ranges, the Pro 3 didn't seem to do that...but then the water wasn't flat either.

Not sure what the out come would be if I added another person to the boat. Usually my Co Pilot (wife) is their watching the numbers and she couldn't make it. I have a feeling the at the Pro may be too tall for running with to adults. When I get a chance I will go out and get some more detailed information, this is the best I got as I got tired of waiting for a good day.  Thinking that the 18 pitch would probably be perfect once they start building them for my set up.

So far...……………………….....K16            44.6 mph at  6450. Rpms (didn't know they would even rev that high but that's what the tach said)

17 Spitfire   42.4 mph  at  5850 Rpms

19 Pro3       45.7 mph  at  5800  Rpms

1 hour ago, lurem said:

I can't remember if you had a jackplate or not but do you think that raising the motor a notch would help to get the RPM"S up?

My question too.  When I was testing my 4-blade FMM recommended raising the jack plate about an inch. Made a big difference, and I haven't found a better setting.

No jack plate on the boat. Could go up a hole on the transom with the motor and it probably wouldn't effect the handling and would pick up some rpms. Just my first outing with the prop. Want to get out on some smoother water and play around more with trim settings. Just got tired of looking at the box in the garage and went out, even thought the conditions were way less than Ideal.

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys......decided to keep the 19 and have it tweaked just a little for a few more RPMs. Its at Leading Edge Propeller getting a little love, waiting for a phone call to pick it up.

Really liked the way the 19 ran, just need a little more rpm. Rich looked at it and decided he could make a couple of adjustments so I am waiting for it to be finished. Will report back once it is done.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone ran the Power Tech Pro 4 yet ? That prop looks very interesting to me but I have not heard any real world numbers on it yet Other than a Carolina skiff / Suzuki combo .  I wish someone that has run the PRO 4 on a boat motor combo that I am familiar with would share there experience .