Adding Raw Water Washdown

dcathey

I’ve always wanted to add a washdown pump to my 06 22 to use throughout the day and on those trips that we don’t have water at the dock. I’m considering adding a 4.0 gpm pressurized pump. I’ve got a good spot in the starboard aft locker and considering plumbing it to one of the ports on side of livewell pumps. We have never used the aft port livewell for anything but ropes and bumpers, would this be a good spot for the quick connect and hose outlet. My thoughts were that I could leave it hooked up and open hatch to use it without having it lying around the deck. Anybody care to share their setup or tips

Buy the pump at West Marine...get the 2 year warranty....it will probably need to be replaced in the same time ;) 

some tricks I learned...

1.) spray down the outside of the pump with a clear lacquer before it is installed in the bilge....HOBO trick...it will reduce the corrossion

2.) I used to leave my Wash Down hose in the splash well...easier than reaching into a hatch etc.

3.) Just put the quick connect in the splash well and buy a quality hose with a plastic hose head....

dc

I also added a separate thru-hull pickup with seacock. That was because the second port on the live-well pump could not deliver enough water when the live-well pump and washdown pump were running at the same time. If you don't use the live-well pump to supply the live-well, then using the second port should do just fine. 

I would recommend a strainer if you are in an area with floating grass. 

I got tired of the hose always being in the way and taking up too much space, so I bought a 20 ft. expandable hose. That has worked fine for 5 years. 

I sprayed my washdown pump with Corrosion-X in the red can. Applied two coats before instillation. 5 years no rust. 

It is important to understand the differences  in the 22v and 22te.

The 22te has no splash well

If you have a pump for a bow bait well it is easy to come off it as it usually is not used. One thing I have noticed using a raw water pump is that most of its use is from the bow back. I hope to find a way this winter to move my connection to the front of the boat. Either out of console or even looking at the  anchor  locker

Ok, makes sense. Maybe I also need to look into a hookup at the console. I’ve got a tower so my hose could nestle between console and legs if we didn’t unhook it. Or just to the side of the front cooler seat may work. Thanks for the input, now I gotta see how to pull a hose forwArd

Putting your pump in the compartment would work, and I like that better then in the splash-well,  but remember the pump is more efficient when it's close to the water line. It takes more effort to pull the water up to the pump, than it takes to discharge water to the hose.  I prefer mine in the bilge because it's closer to the water line. 

My last boat had the discharge (hose connection) on the side of the console. I liked that location a lot because it's basically in the middle of the boat. My Pathfinder has the hose connection in the Starboard rear corner, not nearly as convenient as being in the center of the boat, but that's my fault because I did not specify a location during the build.

I think you would really like the collapsible/expandable hose. It's very light and takes up very little room. Expandable/collapsible hose don't have a good reputation for longevity, but your pump only creates about 40 to 45 psi and that's not much strain on the hose.  

Archived