Pathfinder 2400 fuel tank replacement

Mayeriver

Hello. I am new to the forum.  This is an unfortunate topic for my first post, but I have a recently restored 2003 Pathfinder 2400 that I really like.  It has been a great boat.  I noticed a fuel smell this year and have been through all the testing to confirm a fuel tank leak.  My local shop pressure tested several different ways, with and with out hoses, had soapy water everywhere accessable and we now know that it has a leak somewhere in the lower 1/3 of the the tank.  The guy who helped with the resto is going to help with de-rig.  So the boat will have no console, t-top, or leaning post. 

Where would be a good place between Charleston SC and Jacksonville FL to take to cut floor and replace tank?  Looking for someone that can spray the nonskid as well.

Thanks for any advice.

Can't help you with place up there to do repair, but as an FYI I had to do same a few years back on my 2004 2400v.  My old tank had a label and I was able to get exact tank from Ezell industries in Perry FL. They were original manufacturer and had the specs. Shipped it to me. Here's a picture of the cut open deck.  Local glass shop was able to use old deck piece and patched it back in.  The cause was my lift didn't slant enough so there was always a gallon or so of water in the bilge that touched the very rear bottom of tank just enough to corrode.  I fixed lift but also painted the bottom & sides up a couple of inches.  The tank rests on 1/4-1/2 inch rubber strips right on the hull between the 2 main stringers. Good luck.  Also I would replace all hoses wiring, etc. while deck is opened up.       

Pathfinder Gas Tank 1.JPG

Hmmmm.  I learned something.  I didn't realize they had aluminum tanks in those earlier years. 

And I didn't realize MBG did repairs on non warranty boats.  When I checked with Ray nearly three years ago, he told me they don't repair boats. 

But to the OP, any good and reputable boat fiberglass shop should be able to handle this job.  Gator in Savannah, GA could do this job nicely if he wanted to.   His number is 912-441-1750.

On 11/16/2018 at 1:56 PM, lurem said:

Jack at full throttle powerboats in Jacksonville FLorida is a good fiberglass guy and who Tony at boatronics used when he built a pathfinder. See post number 1.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/815501-death-resurrection-my-dream-boat.html

Probably one of the BEST rebuild threads on the NET....he has to be one of the top master riggers in the region...such attention to detail in incredible.

DC

On 11/16/2018 at 8:47 AM, JEM said:

Hmmmm.  I learned something.  I didn't realize they had aluminum tanks in those earlier years. 

It’s select boats. Some of the Mavericks and 2400’s specifically. And the exact reason I don’t own a 2400 unfortunately.

Tons of reading on Facebook about the unprotected alum tanks corroding and failing 

Archived