HPX V 18 - Test Run?

rkmurphy526

We’re selling our Avenger 24 and looking to get back into a flats boat or smaller bay boat. I’m pretty keyed in on the Maverick HPX V 18 or a Pathfinder 22/24. I used to own a Pathfinder 22 so I know what I’d be getting into there. I’ve never taken a ride in a Maverick, though. Anyone with an HPX V 18 willing and able to take me fishing in the Tampa Bay Area? I’ll pay for gas and lunch (and beer)!

Really looking at the 2005-2010 range for budget reasons but I’ll ride in any year.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, rkmurphy526 said:

We’re selling our Avenger 24 and looking to get back into a flats boat or smaller bay boat. I’m pretty keyed in on the Maverick HPX V 18 or a Pathfinder 22/24. I used to own a Pathfinder 22 so I know what I’d be getting into there. I’ve never taken a ride in a Maverick, though. Anyone with an HPX V 18 willing and able to take me fishing in the Tampa Bay Area? I’ll pay for gas and lunch (and beer)!

Really looking at the 2005-2010 range for budget reasons but I’ll ride in any year.

Thanks!

The 2005 HPX 18 won’t be the same hull as the 2010 HPX 18 . Don’t want to get the two mixed up they don’t ride or perform the same . I think the  new style hull came out in 2009 on the HPX . 

2 hours ago, rkmurphy526 said:

What changed?  Thanks for the info.

Pretty much everything was changed the only thing the same is the name 18 HPX  the 2009 and Up is a little longer , it is a lot more narrow , the live bait well is way larger on the newer design , the motor sits in a diff location the old design the motor was mounted forward of the trans. . The newer design is less weight . It is a totally redesigned hull . The ride and performance is much diff between the two boats . They are as different as a first generation Camaro to the second generation Camaro . Night and a Day . It may be worth your time to check out Family Boating of Tampa the owner Paul could fill in all the blanks he knows both hull designs and may even have what your hunting for .   Joe R 

I used to own an older 18-V..  it was too wide in the stern to get up on top of chop and run like a maverick. It's not horrible if you are running small water, but if you are running where it gets rough (like Tampa) you'll hate it... The newer hull is worlds better..

6 hours ago, wayne said:

I used to own an older 18-V..  it was too wide in the stern to get up on top of chop and run like a maverick. It's not horrible if you are running small water, but if you are running where it gets rough (like Tampa) you'll hate it... The newer hull is worlds better..

This is great info. Thank you!

Anyone know the exact year the near hull took over?

On 11/21/2018 at 9:15 AM, rkmurphy526 said:

So I guess I’m looking for a ride on a 2009 or newer HPX-V 18. I’m not opposed to going to a dealer but I’d feel bad wasting their time since I won’t be buying new. 

Actually, for that matter, I’ll take a ride in a 2008-prior if the opportunity presents itself. I wouldn’t mind just forming my own opinion...I reckon that’s probably the best thing to do.

Thanks again for the info fellas. 

• 1 month later...

Here's some discussion about deck/cap changes on the HPX-V 18 after the design change in 2009:

If or when you buy an HPX-V 18, you may want to PM Dabear (Joe R).  He is "The Man" to ask about motor setup, weight balance, and prop choice.  His 2010 performs better than any other HPX-V 18, that I've heard of, with a stock Yamaha VF115 SHO.

On 1/6/2019 at 8:51 AM, rkmurphy526 said:

Thanks for the reply! So running surface and all of that was the same? How does it ride compared to the 18?

The 18 sounds like it's only a extra foot but it's a substantial difference.. the 17 does have a impressive ride for a small skiff.. 

19 hours ago, wayne said:

The 18 sounds like it's only a extra foot but it's a substantial difference.. the 17 does have a impressive ride for a small skiff.. 

Yeah I noticed that when looking at the specs.  The 18 would definitely be better for the wife and little guy.  Regardless, I'll have to sell our big bay boat first.  Someone buy it!

Archived