2002 Mirage Restore

Sudolicious

I want to restore a 2002 Maverick Mirage HPX that has a Yamaha 90 HP. I bought it as a fly fishing boat and I love it more than I thought I would. It is in pretty decent shape but is showing its age.  Has some dings, color fade, engine is older and loud, wiring is a mess. It I want to restore it and get new power, basically make it like new again: Where do I start?

What is best engine for this poling skiff?

Is it true these boats are not designed to use with jack plates? Or you really dont need one?

The push pole holders are the old flip up ones and one is severely damaged and I have learned there is no great way to fix them.  I ordered the acrylic rep,acements and they were way too small. Can I have them glassed over and put in new flip up holders?

The boat is in Placida, FL.  I need to know what order to do things, what to do and maybe a referral on who I should use to do it.  

Thanks for any recommendations. 

E2DBED14-6EC8-4BF6-BA7E-42DA5728AE75.jpeg

F7A92A64-A47F-4E62-83DA-F49E90033C39.jpeg

18 hours ago, SouthernWake said:

I would keep that engine until it blows then worry about replacing.

Those older yamadogs are bullet proof.....run good oil, good gas, change the plugs and lower unit oil and as my mechanic here in FLL said, I'll most likely be dead before my engine dies and I have a 1995 :)

19 hours ago, Sudolicious said:

I want to restore a 2002 Maverick Mirage HPX that has a Yamaha 90 HP. I bought it as a fly fishing boat and I love it more than I thought I would. It is in pretty decent shape but is showing its age.  Has some dings, color fade, engine is older and loud, wiring is a mess. It I want to restore it and get new power, basically make it like new again: Where do I start?

Do you plan on doing all the work yourself...or have someone do parts?

dc

I heard these engines run forever. Maybe I will keep the motor as it appears to be what makes sense. 

As far as the fiberglass work and other mechanical work, I need someone to do it.  I live out of State. The reason I want to redo all the mechanical is so when I am here for my one week month or a couple weeks for tarpon, I have no down time.  

I see you are on the west coast...I'm sure some of the West Coast members will have some recommendations..locally, but, for what it's worth....

I'd bring it over to Inshore Marine Speciality -Bob - he is a master rigger and does incredible fiberglass work - he did some work for me a while back....

He can do the re-wiring and glass work....his is located in Oakland Park, just north of Pompano/FLL...about 3 hours from where you are at...but, worth the drive....

For just wiring, the other option is Master Repair in Stuart....Bob actually work for them years ago before they moved...they are legendary for the work and attention to detail...

Up in JAX there is Boattronics...he is a Pathfinder owner....

I'd also call the Family Boat Center in Tampa, they might know of some good glass and rigging guys...or the local MHP dealer in Naples....

For a rewire- it won't be cheap, if completely correctly, but, once complete, it will last for you many years to come, and as you say, when you come down, you just start and go...be sure you take care of your fuel in your skiff if you are only running it once a month...go REC fuel only....IMHO....and if you can get someone to run it on the muffs, do so every few weekends as they carb 90's tend to gum up if not run.....

dc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Keep the 90 Yama,it IS bullet proof.  I put one on a Whaler 12 yrs ago and it runs like new.  My son now has the boat in BC Canada and runs it hard. Use REC gas period! Especially when not using the boat that often.  I use Ring free on every fill up.  In hot weather the carbs will tend to gum up with E-10 fuel.  Have you checked with MBC to see if your pole holders are still made?

• 2 months later...

So this project is done, I ended up glassing over the old push pole mounts and installing the custom cans from VMarine.  I kept the 90 Yamadog and had it rebuilt. I am having an isue withthe cavitation /propeller and have been in contact a couple time with Marcus at Powertech.  I am going to start a new thread to se if I can get some insight on what a jack platemy do to this boat.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...