PP vs TM

fin-addict

Son 43 wants to install PP Pro II 2.0 on my boat. Would it not be better to just upgrade my Motorguide tiller steering with a new Ipilot with Spot Lock or  Xi5 Motorguide with gps Anchor feature. Both would act as PP and also allow to be used in deeper water than 8’. Of the TM’s what would you get and why. Feel most will say Ipilot. Have always had Motorguide. Both the PP and TM would cost about the same. Thanks, fin 😃

I found since adding an Ulterra, 6-8 months ago, I have not used my 10’ pp but a couple of times. That’s when I’m beached up so that the stern stays put. If I only fished I wouldn’t have no use for it really. If I had to choose one over the other it wouldn’t definitely be the gps tm. As a matter of fact my pp is not working right now and I’m in no hurry to get it fixed. Lol

People ask me all the time, if I’m gonna get one is it tm or pp. I say tm first.. a nice trolling motor will change the way you fish.  Already having a trolling motor would be the only nudge to the pp in your case. If you enjoy the trolling motor you have then it comes down to can you stick the bottom where you fish. If you can’t then power pole is prolly further down the plus and minus scale. 

Your boat, right? Your son would like to put a PP on it, right? He is paying for it, RIGHT??? Sounds like a no brainer to me. Then see how it works for you with your current TM. Then if you still would like a TM w/ anchor convince your son he needs that also. Honestly, I too have both and use both every trip.

17 hours ago, bernieNC said:

Your boat, right? Your son would like to put a PP on it, right? He is paying for it, RIGHT??? Sounds like a no brainer to me. Then see how it works for you with your current TM. Then if you still would like a TM w/ anchor convince your son he needs that also. Honestly, I too have both and use both every trip.

Yes, MY boat. No, LOL, DAD will be paying for which ever way I decide to go. May just leave the way it is. Fin

I fish for a living in the same way you guys are fishing. Have had all the TM's and Power pole combos imagined on my tournament boats.

My MA has a hand controlled trolling motor and an 8 foot PP. I couldn't fish the shallows like I do without this combo.

I don't care for the noise or complexity of the I-pilots. I suppose it's all about how and where you fish. I have fished Charlotte harbor plenty and no way I would not have a power pole.

43 minutes ago, Redrum said:

Fin,  I fish the way you do here in Charlotte harbor...….I prefer Motorguide Xi5 with the Machete III Prop which is very quiet.  I fish mostly in 2 foot or less without any problems at all.

Yes, fish Charlotte Harbor all the time. East, west walls, cutoff, B and T bays and the 20+ holes.

I fish for reds and trout regularly in 3-4 feet of water. Since installing the Ulterra I haven't used my PP for a year. Incidentally, the last three times I was out ,I limited out (3 fish per person) in a large school of reds in 3 feet of water, holding position with the Ulterra. These fish were caught 15 feet from the boat. I've done this on several occasions, so I don't think the noise from the Ulterra has any effect on the fish

Archived