Snook Fishing

hurricanedavid

I know this is a little easier said than done. My daughter works in an emergency room and she says they see hooks in hands arms and legs consistently. Dino is right. The only difference is the Dr would numb the finger before pushing the hook through. I think the ice water would do the same. No stiches needed. Also Irabalo I think there is only one hook in the finger. If there were 2 it would be a little harder to deal with.

I know that it would be very hard to leave the hot snook bite. Great pic david. Come to think of it Bigdave just went through this. Also with treble hooks....hmm.....

I know this is a little easier said than done.

A couple weeks ago while fishing with oldsalt, I buried one of those trebles in my ankle. First thought (after "oh crap") was, I'm going to have to push it thru & cut it off. Even using my pliers I'll be danged if I could push it thru }:( . Hard as I tried it would not pop thru on the other side. Ended up backing it out with a whole new comp***ion for the fish I dehook (lol) :laugh:

Short aside, oldsalt didn't miss a cast the entire time :confused:

RL

I know this is a little easier said than done. My daughter works in an emergency room and she says they see hooks in hands arms and legs consistently. Dino is right. The only difference is the Dr would numb the finger before pushing the hook through. I think the ice water would do the same. No stiches needed. Also Irabalo I think there is only one hook in the finger. If there were 2 it would be a little harder to deal with.

I know that it would be very hard to leave the hot snook bite. Great pic david. Come to think of it Bigdave just went through this. Also with treble hooks....hmm.....

Another good reason to have a large pair of dykes in the boat to cut larger hooks....normal braid cutters are not going to cut through the treble...

In my Pathy, I used to carry large plier cutter in the tool kit...I've been feeshing on other's boats and probably need to throw one in my day bag....

In 40 years of feeshing...I've had hooks of all shapes and sizes in and through my hands.....

Worst one was a double hook trolling ballyhoo which drove into the top of my hand as I was reaching into the freezer to clean it out....one hook was at the top side of the wrist and the other went between my middle and ring finger...wife wouldn't let me push it through and was concerned about potential nerve damage....it was so deep

It was pretty commical to walk in the ER with a ballyhoo on my hand....they actually had to call the EMT over with his cutters as the stuff they had in the ER would'nt go through the 6/0 J hooks...

But, in all seriousness, need to be careful if you are superficial or if you are near tendons or nerves...

That one look like it was in the fleshy part of the hand...but, if you get one through the center...you need to take it seriously if you feel tingling etc...

dc

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By4OOHyZQts_QVB3bGJTRVIySlk/edit?usp=drive_web

Yes, there was only one hook (X-Rap Saltwater series) stuck in my thumb as I clipped the other two off with the large wire cutters that I ALWAYS carry in my boat bag, first time needed for me. Those hooks are sharp as H$LL! The immediate issue here was the single hook was buried in the bony/cartilage portion at the base of my thumb. It was stuck very firmly not fleshy and I didn't trust my fishing buddy to pull it out in fear of significant damage to the digit. Luckily, I have childhood friend and now MD who is my 24/7 instant healthcare provider. I sent him a picture of my thumb at 9pm while still anchored and he said to meet him at his office at 9:30pm. The link above will show a video of the hook extraction. As you can see it wasn't that easy for him to break the hook tip back through the skin until he really torqued and depressed from outside. Yes, my best friend that night was his Novocain.

Only a true fisherman films the extraction of his hook :)

Sounds like you made the right decision based upon how you were feeling....as mentioned, hard to tell how deep but you felt it close to the cartilage...

Now, the real questions ???

It was only 930 pm....did you go back and get back on the bite ???

:) :)

dc

have small cutters in my tool box. next am going to buy large set for my day bag. had to do this only once, small one worked fine. person with me almost p***ed out, I did turn a little pale myself while pushing on hook out to snip. more power to all that has done this a lot.

more power to all that has done this a lot.

Worst one I ever had was Dolphin feeeesssshing…..

15 miles offshore in the Dusky….

Rod # 1 goes down…..Tell my buddy grab it….

Rod # 2 goes down…..I put engine in neutral….grab the rod..

Game on…

Rod # 1 coming to the boat….I give my rod to my best friend Mr. ROD HOLER and see a 10-15 lb'r and we gaffer'r…

I swing the green feeesh over the side….it hits the deck…i am trying to get the feesh in the box and it falls off the gaff...…and tell my buddy, who's inexperienced… to step away….as we have a fresh going wild on the deck…

I grab my rag off belt and reach for the tail and was going to grab the tail and lift the head with the leader….hit a double j hook bally…feesh had one hook exposed….

As I reach down, my buddy says….let me help…reels the line and lifts the head…..feesh head jumps up with the pressure…just as I was reaching over it's head to grab the leader as I was going to pull tight to control it….

My left hand slips toward the head and a 5/0 J hook goes through my thumb…right next to the nail…

Now, angry feeeesshhh jump on my hand….I lay down on it to stop it from moving….and put the rag over it's eyes……

Yell to my buddy to run to the tool box and grab the big cutters….

I control the feesh in the corner of the deck and snip the hook….

Feesh goes in the box…..Ice in the bucket….add some salt water..hand in bucket till I couldn't stand th pain….clipped the barb which was hanging out….then pullled it back out…

At this point my buddy is trying to get the other feeesh to the boat and the schoolies are appearing….

I tell him….leave the F'n feesh in the water…he says oh, I thought we were leaving to go to the hospital ?

Hospital….there's a school of fins in the water….we aint leaving now after a $100 worth of gas and bait !!!

Wrapped up my thumb with duct tape and napkins….and kept feeeshing…..

Stopped at a emergency care on the way home, got a shot for tetanis and some antibiotics….

back on the water at 0500….thumb protected with good ol Duct tape for the day…

You just can't make up the crazy *** that happens on the water…..

For that reason, ever siince that day, if I'm not feeshing with an experienced feeesherman….and I'm running the boat offshore for fins…I get real strict about how and what I want my friends to do…which is normally…..NOTHING !!!

Once I gaff the feeesh…I tell'm to just open th bail and step away….

I'm sure Troy has a few stories about "clients" wanting to help !!!

dc

agree, on the water I rule!!!! worse yet, while docking hands off everything!!! no matter size of boat unless I ASK!! very seldom. seen way too many stupid things happen at the dock.

You got that one……

Here. here……let me help….heard that one too many times….

someone gets their hands between the post and rub rail….

dc

Archived