Back in MBG Family with new boat

kawakibi

7 hours ago, Buddy73 said:

Great advice as I got the 150 as well. Thanks again!

You’ll definitely want the weight upfront. More advice if your getting the F150, when you unhitch from truck, drop the tongue low. 1st day I was on the boat with my son and we both went to the back and the bow popped up. Boat did a nice wheely. Thank god we were on grass and the engine skeg just dug into the dirt. But you want to be aware of it when your on trailer on dry land. Keeping the tongue low will help prevent that. 

Good to know, I was looking up your pics on sound system, now that you’ve had the boat for a little bit, do you like the JL set up, sound, adding the amp, etc... looks to meet my budget. I just got off the phone with Glen at FMT, he’s really pushing the EVO3 12” which I understand why, but trying to keep a budget with everything else I’m putting in to the boat. I’m sure it’s the way to go, but I might opt for the 9”. Did you buy yours from FMT? Thanks again for the info, really makes the process easy as my order is still in the mold stage.

3 hours ago, Buddy73 said:

Good to know, I was looking up your pics on sound system, now that you’ve had the boat for a little bit, do you like the JL set up, sound, adding the amp, etc... looks to meet my budget. I just got off the phone with Glen at FMT, he’s really pushing the EVO3 12” which I understand why, but trying to keep a budget with everything else I’m putting in to the boat. I’m sure it’s the way to go, but I might opt for the 9”. Did you buy yours from FMT? Thanks again for the info, really makes the process easy as my order is still in the mold stage.

I spoke to Glen right after you. He said another Redfisher owner had just called him.

i am really leaning towards the 9” as well. Most likely Simrad. I have a Garmin on my boat now that’s less than a year old. The 12” Simrad is a ton of money to run a mapping chip. 

I bought a 9inch simrad when I had my hewes, and as I was checking out at west marine, I wish I had bought the 12. You have to realize, depending where you fish, especially the everglades, flamingo or the keys, It will change the way you plan your day around tides and it will show you things that has taken anglers 20 years to discover, and glenn himself, several bottom jobs on his 18 Egret. Being able to see one unmarked oyster bar on glenns chip paid for that 12 inch screen (saving the bottom of your boat). I, myself, fish out of chokoloskee and run as far south as rodgers/harney. I cant tell you how many times I've passed people beached on flats or oyster bars while I'm running Glenn's chip. Don't be mistaken, FMT is more than a mapping chip. FMT has revolutionized the way people approach shallow water/near shore fishing as the trolling motor and power pole have. 

I’m totally sold on the FMT chip as I told Glen today, I’m all in. As I fish out of Tarpon Springs, we also do the keys and BG area. Always looking for new tracks. I had the Lowrance on the 24’ PF, little more familiar with it, but it sounds like the knob on the Simrad is where it’s at with running the chip. Just tough to justify the difference. But maybe I just need to pull the trigger!

6 hours ago, Buddy73 said:

I just got everything installed this past weekend. Haven’t used it yet, but you can’t go wrong with anything JL.

In regards to 9” vs 12” - like everything in life - you get what you pay for & bigger is better. 

Most people considering a larger unit on their skiff are used to the way it has been for many years and for many thousands of boaters still is today.  They run a small screen with a general reference poor map (even though it may be marketed as a premium product).  These general reference charts lack lots of important details inshore and have low res dark and dingy images that are nearly useless for fishing or navigation. That is the perspective most bring to the table when they consider the change.  The notion of a much larger machine may seem like overkill on a small boat because larger units are typically installed on offshore rigs and it begs the question "why do I need a bigger screen on my small boat taking up all that room around my console and how would it even fit there?  How much different could a new map really be and why not just display it on a small screen?  Every day we get calls from customers looking for a new map who advise "I just have a skiff so I only need a small screen and that is all that will fit".  They are clearly in the small is better camp.  That is their perspective based on their current experience.  We do our best to provide the missing perspective and address the questions of how different can it really can be when you are running a map that actually works.  

The answer is it's a lot different and it is a challenge to appreciate until you run it yourself and experience the difference in actual use in a wild remote place with lots of obstacles to avoid.  We have never had a single instance of a customer calling to advise …. "Hey...that 12" unit you recommended.. It just has to go.. Its too big!  I need a smaller unit".  And most all of those that opt for a 9" say afterwards 12" would have been better and they should have gone with the 12".  Most that that opt for a 7" switch up within a year and acknowledge the smaller screen is OK but a disadvantage with the better map.  Those that seem to be OK sticking with a 7" are generally younger boaters in their 20s.  There are even a couple that moved on up to a 16" after thinking 12" may be too big on their 18 and 20' boats.

Most who run FMT understand that bigger would be better after using it if they don't already run a 12".  Why? Because 1) the bigger display is easier to see 2) its easier to use 3) it provides the best situational awareness and 4) it has the best screen resolution making the images even better.   It will fit but many  need to consider an adjustable mount.  We have a couple of mounts such as Cisco Fishing Systems and Balzout that work well that are very high quality, look great and solve this problem and when used provide substantively improved ergonomics.  There are 12" units running FMT on Gheenoes and smaller side consoles.  The location of the display is more important with FMT as most touch or mess around with the screen a lot more than they used to so reaching for the unit around something, over the wheel etc., can become tiresome if it's not well positioned.  Why the extra use?  Because you can finally see all the stuff missing on the other charts and because the detail is provided, you will use it and focus in on it.  The other charts don't get the same use inshore because there is very little to see on them that is important and boaters get used to that and those products then become general reference applications that are glanced at from time to time but that is about all they can provide.  How much interest or confidence is anyone really going to develop in a chart that has thousands of missing navigational features, inaccurate markers and shows you running across land when you are floating in 5'?

So if you decide to run an ISLA map, we say get the biggest unit you can afford.  You will not regret a bigger screen.  And consider an adjustable mount that will float the unit in a perfect position adjacent to your wheel.

Archived