Continental trailer for PF 22T

Waterman18

I’m getting ready to buy a new Continental trailer for my 2008 PF 22T. Want to know which other owners have one and which model they have . They’ve suggested a tandem 4400 lb w/ 13” wheels but I think it might be better suited for a 5000 lb with 14” wheels.if anyone can post their model number it’d be greatly appreciated! ....Thanks

Way too little trailer. I believe the weight rating is the gross axle capacity, which doesn't account for the weight of the trailer, probably almost 1000 lbs. That puts you around 3400-3500 lbs. net, which is right at what the boat weighs loaded for a trip. I've got a 7000 lb. from a different manufacturer (6000 lb. net) with 14" wheels under my 22TE; I wouldn't want any less.

You are  thinking in the right direction. More weight capacity and for god sake no thirteen inch tires. I think you already know what folks here will agree with you to spend up on this one and you will thank yourself later 

My father in law has a 20 foot pontoon on tandem 12 inch tires. I can't believe anyone would even  build something like that. 

I have a 2009 year.....2200Xl sitting on an AmeriTrail Tandem Axle , 5500 lb. rated with 205/75-R14’s ....have towed to Islamorada several times ( 1250 miles round trip)  and have had no issues. I’m not suggesting AmeriTrail over the Continental....just letting you know what size it was and the tire sizes.  I fish to several different locations in South Carolina and Georgia, so I tow the boat a good bit and strongly recommend heavier trailer and 14” tires.

I replaced a Continental trailer with a Ameritrail in 2011.  There is a world of difference between them.

For starters, the Ameritrail has 7000 lbs running gear and I beams that run to the stern of the boat. Welded bunks that are under the stringers, trouble free LED lights, aluminum brake calipers.

The trailers weak point is the aluminum fenders.

My continental is rated for 5300lbs and trailers the boat fine. If I was to buy a new trailer again I’d probably go with something else though. Was supposed to get it for cost through a friend  of my wife, the trailer was supposed to have torsion axles uprgraded wheels and it didn’t upon delivery, the bunks also weren’t set up for the boat. After multiple phone calls with the owner of continental he had a local dealer take care of the bunk issue. Now I’ll be on the hunt for bigger wheels and tires before the 6 hour hauls to Summerland this summer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked mine it’s an a2244 with the 13” wheels. I’ve never had an issue 2003 2200v. I have minimum 45 min to the ramp over various quality roads and speed. Never once felt like it’s not enough trailer. 

i was worried in what the dealer specd, called continental and they said that’s the right trailer for the boat fwiw.

that said it was put under it before I bought it - if i were to do it I prob would go ameratrail if I had the cash. Ameratrail uses the exact same axles as the continental but the build quality is way better

On 1/24/2019 at 3:26 PM, HarleyG8r said:

Way too little trailer. I believe the weight rating is the gross axle capacity, which doesn't account for the weight of the trailer, probably almost 1000 lbs. That puts you around 3400-3500 lbs. net, which is right at what the boat weighs loaded for a trip. I've got a 7000 lb. from a different manufacturer (6000 lb. net) with 14" wheels under my 22TE; I wouldn't want any less.

Wrong. The a2244 has two 3750 axles under it so that puts it at 7500 at the axles.  Trailer is 980 so in theory you have 6500 minus 10% threshold puts you over 5k. 13” wheels would be the weak point and that still puts your rating around 4440 on the trailer per their spec. 

dont get me wrong more is better but your info is wrong.

op I would go 14” wheels anyways nets you an additional 600 on the sticker plus peace of mind. I will probably upgrade mine. Why not?

Archived