Battery Question - Opinion

Paid Up

I have a Pathfinder with a Yamaha F150 and have 3 batteries on board and have replaced them over the years and am due batteries now.  I use marine 27 deep cycle batteries for all 3 and today was told i should use a standard marine battery (24 or 27) for my cranking battery.  I have always used deep cycle.  What do you use for a starting battery?  Deep cycle 27 or starting 24 or 27?

The starting battery is used just for starting and i use the other 2 for trolling motor and gps.

Thank for input.

I will first say I HATE WalMart for more than one reason and avoid it at all cost but.... The starting battery that was in my last boat was an EverStart when I bought it and the same battery was in it when I sold it 6 years latter. I was fishing one afternoon before an event the next day and my trolling batteries died. WalMart was the only place open and I needed batteries for the morning, that was in 2014 and still have those in my boat.

I have odyssey AGM group 34m batteries that are 7-8 years old, (that is correct 7-8 years old). I know they are $$$ but they are still going strong and haven’t had a problem with any of the four batteries. May want to look at them if you can get past the sticker shock. 

2 hours ago, jchern said:

I have odyssey AGM group 34m batteries that are 7-8 years old, (that is correct 7-8 years old). I know they are $$$ but they are still going strong and haven’t had a problem with any of the four batteries. May want to look at them if you can get past the sticker shock. 

My wet cell Interstates were a heck of a lot less expensive and like I said above they are coming up on 6 years. No problems and have always had power.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:05 PM, Paid Up said:

The starting battery is used just for starting and i use the other 2 for trolling motor and gps.

When I ran my 22 Pathy....I ran several different batteries....

for starting you need a good umph....from for the 4 stroke....and the correct Reserve Capacity for the alternator.

The interstates 27 wet cell are ideal...but, the yamaha dealer here in FLL at Boat Center recommended the white DEKA, series 24, 1000 CCA's for the cranking...I then used the DEKA series 27's for the trolling motor....each lasted more than 3 years with next day charging.

For my 1995MA 115 2 smoker I'm using a dual purpose wet cell to insure it has the correct RC...all my batteries on a 3 bank charger.

When I went to a 36V, I went with 4 series 31 DEKA's and they were a beast....the only down fall of the DEKA 24 (above) is if you are running lots of baitwells, etc., but, if you are on a 1/2/all switch, you should not ever have a situation you can't crank....

my thoughts....

dc

Archived