Cool option for 2-stroke Merc Optimax owners

geeviam

I realize we're mostly in Yamaha territory on this forum (I own one too), but I subscribe to the BoatTest.com newsletter, and saw this article.  It's a cool option for Optimax owners, with older boats designed for 2-strokes, needing a compatible upgrade.  Thought I'd share it for those who might be interested:

Quicksilver Reman Powerhead
In May 2018, Mercury Marine discontinued manufacturing all of its 2-stroke engines, commonly called the OptiMax series. Because tens of thousands of boats on the water were designed for 2-stroke outboards, and because many boaters prefer the instant acceleration that only 2-stroke engines can provide, the Quicksilver division of Mercury Marine is now re-manufacturing 2-stroke engines from its old Optimax powerheads.

These 2-stroke powerheads are completely rebuilt from the block up and all parts used are as good as new, or actually new ones. (Old parts that don’t meet speck are discarded.) Also, new technology and processes that were introduced during the years that the OptiMax were made have been incorporated into the reman powerheads. That means for most owners, the reman powerhead is actually better than the old one they may have had. All powerheads are “hot tested.”

A Quick Switch. The new reman powerheads can be bolted on to the old 3-liter leg of the old units. Any authorized Mercury dealer can usually accomplish the switch within 2 to 3 hours.

Up-Grade Horsepower. Old OptiMax units that had 200, 225, or 250 powerheads, can now be upgraded to as much as 300-hp with the reman powerheads. They should all fit on the old midsections and lower units. The is a good way to up-grade power at minimum expense.

Consumer Caveat: While the horsepower of the powerheads can be upgraded, the USCG max horsepower rating for any boat should not be exceeded.

For more information, or to find a local dealer, visit the Quicksilver website-- https://www.quicksilver-products.com/marine/outboard/powerheads/dressed-powerheads/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...