Question about batteries and charger

Vapor Trail

I have a new Pathfinder. I requested the dual battery setup and it came with a G31 AGM starting and flooded cell G27 next to it. I just bought three Duracell G31 AGM trolling motor batteries. In the compartment with these five batteries there is a four bank Pro Tournament 360 Elite charger. There is a red disconnect for the trolling motor and another one when set to #1 starts the engine with the starting battery. When set to #2 puts them in parallel if you had run the first battery down and need to get started. My questions are if I hook the charger up to the starting battery and the trolling motor batteries how will I maintain or charge the other battery? Does the motor charge them both when running in the normal #1 position? And if the charger isn’t ever hooked to the flooded cell battery I guess there’s no reason to worry about mixing and matching types?

ok I started typing and had to start over. I think you need to start at the begging. your selector switch should have selection for 1 selection for 2 and selection for 1&2 if i follow your description. As far as the motor charging the batteries it will only charge the batteries you have selected 1 2 or both.  the AGM and Flooded cell batteries are fine to charge together.

if you install 36 volts worth of batteries for a trolling motor i would assume you plan to add a on board charger to plug up to when not in use. If you buy a 4 bank charger you can charge all 5 batteries and keep them topped off when the boat is not in use.

To discuss in much more detail it would be useful to be sure what battery switch you have and if you have an ARC isolation on your starting battery. Also If you have a onboard charger yet and what you may buy for your trolling motor batteries.

Do you have an ACR (automatic charging relay) to switch from battery to battery for charging while running? To answer your question, I’m not sure how it would or if it does work when batteries 1&2 are selected on that disconnect. That switch on my boat pulls in a trolling motor battery (I have 3 tm and one cranking for now). I know when I add my 5th battery, I plan to set it up like yours. Kind of....I’ll isolate the cranking battery for just that and then have the other as a house. I plan to run an ACR, which worked GREAT on my last boat. They’re around $100 and simple to install. 

I thought you may have an on off switch rather than a  1-2-all  selector. In the on position you should be charging the two batteries associated with starting the boat.   The two systems should be totally separate from one another. the three batteries you bought for the trolling motor will not charge from the motor.  Now you need to know what type on board charger you have. I would wager a bet you have at least a four bank charger. That will charge everything on the boat when you plug it in. 

That was a typo. The two batts that come with the boat should be wired to the top switch and should charge while running the motor in the on position. If your starting battery is dead you can select combine and start off both batteries. In the combine position both batteries can discharge together leaving you with no reserve battery to start the motor.

The  charger should charge all 5 batteries while on the trailer 

So when the top switch is only set to the regular position and is starting off of only the main battery how does it charge the second battery.  It seems to me if it isn't part of the starting loop it can't be part of the charging loop from the motor.  Also so you're saying I can set this up to charge five batteries from a four bank charger? 

There is probably an ACR switch On the boat that isolates the starting battery from the house battery during low voltage situations . This will keep your starting battery from going dead while you are out there drinking beer listening to kid rock . When voltage is present again it allows both batteries to charge. 

If you have a four bank charger on board one of those banks is going to one of your starting batteries and bleeding to the second starting battery keeping them both fully charged. 

Trust me I had to add all of that to my 2012 vintage pathfinder. I am pretty sure you are set up  correct. 

Archived