outboard motor support

finbully

What do you guys use to support a Yamaha F300 when towing? I like Motor Mate for my bass and flats boats but I don't find a model for the F300 on their web site. I want something for the PF 2500 Hybrid with a Yamaha F300 I've ordered since I'll be towing several hundred miles to fish until I retire.

I am modifying the heavy duty version of a Transom Saver and basically just using the part that attaches to the motor.  It will be much longer and have a bend in it.  I'll show a picture here when I get it done.  I have a 26 with a Verado 350.  The owners manual says do not trailer with out a support for the motor.  We have always used them on other boats although not many do for saltwater boats.

• 2 weeks later...

Bent rams wore out seals. Rams and seals needed to be replaced. The rams are not designed to support what ends up being a sleeve that causes horizontal torque on the rams designed for vertical strength that is experienced as the boat is towed. May not be an issue for short tows but I'm towing several hundred miles from my home location each time I use the boat. Motor Mate completely removes any forces from the rams as you tow.

I use the Lock-n-Haul for my Yamaha 250 SHO and it works great. https://www.lock-n-haul.com/lnhvmax.html  I have had it a little over a year and it does its job very well.  I got the universal non-painted version for around $55.  

I looked at MotorMate also.  From my research it is a great product as well.  The only reason I opted against it was that you had to install the bracket supports for the motormate onto the motor in order for it to work.  I was looking for something a little more plug n play that did not require loosening bolts that had been locked down for a long time.  Also, the motormate was more than twice the cost of the Lock-n-Haul.

I also looked at the my wedge but wanted something that would keep the motor straight as well as provide support.  With the my wedge you have to buy centering clips in addition to the my wedge to keep the motor from turning during transit.  Given the issues reported above I am glad I crossed this one off my list early in the process.  

Archived