StructuresScan 3D

dcathey

Any of y’all running this? I’ve got a Totalscsn on a simrad evo3 and it seems pretty clear compared to my evo2 for what ever reason. I’ve seen some pics of the 3D and it seems very impressive. You can make out fish like tarpon pretty easily. I’m just curious for the guys that have it and fish nearshore if it’s truly worth the $1k price tag, I’d love to hear some first hand knowledge from y’all

11 hours ago, dcathey said:

Any of y’all running this? I’ve got a Totalscsn on a simrad evo3 and it seems pretty clear compared to my evo2 for what ever reason. I’ve seen some pics of the 3D and it seems very impressive. You can make out fish like tarpon pretty easily. I’m just curious for the guys that have it and fish nearshore if it’s truly worth the $1k price tag, I’d love to hear some first hand knowledge from y’all

I am curious about this as well.  Watched tje vids whem it first came out and was really impressed.  However, hasmt seemed to light up the fishing world like I would have expected after launch.  

I have a NSS9 EVO 3 and had the 3D structure scan put on last week. I used it for the first time yesterday.  I haven't gotten to really test it out at the artificial reefs yet, but took it to the lake yesterday and used it for several hours. I used both the 2D and the 3D. Circled around some stuff they sink down for fish attractor's and checked it out in 2D and 3D. Honestly, I like the 2D better for the side views and the down view. In 3D, there is only 1 view.  I'm sure when I get to the reefs offshore, it will come in handy showing what side of the stuff to fish on. I will report back after that. Sorry this isn't much to go by, but for now it's all I have.

10 hours ago, Sunstone said:

Will the 3 in 1 work on a Gen 3?

Do you mean a lowrance HDS gen 3?  I would be curious as well.  I am running the Lss2 xducer and the smaller one.  sure would like to have 1 vs 2, especially if it does more.  I think the HDS gen 3 requires the 3d module though.

7 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Do you mean a lowrance HDS gen 3?  I would be curious as well.  I am running the Lss2 xducer and the smaller one.  sure would like to have 1 vs 2, especially if it does more.  I think the HDS gen 3 requires the 3d module though.

I saw the 3 in 1 on an EVO3 with no separate BOX for 3d and it was much better than Total Scan.  So it appears to me that the 3 in 1 delivers 3d if you have the box but if you don't, it just is an improved sidescan/Total Scan.    If you add the box then it delivers 3d as well.  You don't need a box for it to work unless you want the 3d.

What was also interesting is the set up was on a 16 Egret and the transducer was running on plane barely skimming the surface at all and it had solid depth reading at speed and in turns.  I have my total scan installed on an 18 Egret and to get a solid read about 1/2 of the transducer face has to be below the plane of the boat.  It seems the 3 in 1 performs much better than total scan.  I am sure when the EVO4 comes out later this year, it will also have the 3d capability built in like the LIVE machine has and then the 3in1 will deliver 3d as well if you get the EVO4. 

I am not sure about the HDS gen 3 but since that machine works with Total Scan I'm pretty sure it would be the same situation as it is with the EVO3.

Archived