1996 Hewes Bayfisher 16 Questions

Loganaire

Long time flats boat guy, first time Hewes owner! Just picked up my 1996 16ft Hewes Bayfisher with an 85hp commercial. Boat is awesome, love the way it rides and floats surprisingly shallow. I have been having a few issues and have a dual part question hopefully someone can help out with.

1. I seem to be getting spray off both sides of the lower unit. Its actually getting water on the back deck when running. I'm pretty sure is because the engine is mounted a bit too low, but the cavitation plate is about 1.25" above the bottom of the hull already. Now this is my first boat without a tunnel, flat bottom or pocket, so should I be okay to raise it up another hole? 

2. Posted this question on thehulltruth and got a pretty overwhelming "no" but thought I would get some opinions here. After looking at quite a few pictures online, it seems that very few of these boats have jackplates installed. Any reason behind this? Porpoising issues? Limited Benefits for the cost? Weight on the transom?

I have a brand new TH Micro Jacker I was going to use on another project that I thought would be perfect since the its a low HP engine and well within the weight ratings (plate weighs 23lbs), but it does have a minimum offset of 4". Here is the kicker, I've also got a 6" Bobs (used) laying around I can use as well, its just a bit heavier at 58lbs.

I know from past experience that not every hull benefits greatly from a jackplate setup and wanted to see everyone thoughts before bolting it on and investing in a hydraulic steering system. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

IMG_4918 2.JPG

Welcome,

I had a 1998 and added a jackplate. I started with a 6" and did not like it so I put a 4" setback on and it worked perfect for me. The micro Jackplate should be the ticket if you asked me. (I have one on my 2007 Redfisher 16 now). Keep an eye on your water pressure with a gauge and you should be fine.

The spray on you back happened to me as well. I never really figured out what caused it unless it was a vacuum of you sitting close to the rear and the mist coming up behind you.

BAYFISHER1.JPG

My 96 Bonefisher had that spray issue at certain trim angles, also. You may never be able to get away from it completely. Just figure out what your best trim angle and amount of tabs you have to use to get a good ride without getting the spray. You're motor is at the correct height and I would not adjust it's height. My boat did not have a jack plate, but from what I understand from those that have added one, you may get more porpoising than you would like.

2 minutes ago, lurem said:

The spray on you back happened to me as well. I never really figured out what caused it unless it was a vacuum of you sitting close to the rear and the mist coming up behind you.

BAYFISHER1.JPG

Now that I think about it, the more people I had sitting with me, the worse the mist/spray got. Could be caused by a low pressure area behind the passengers and myself.

if you put your small plate on it might help with the spray.. it might hurt i don't know but i know even at 4 inches the motor will be in cleaner water. 

i own a 15 whaler that has a v shape spray coming from the motor if i trim it up. running tucked under it is not as noticeable . Im guessing if I were to lower the motor it might go away but who wants to lower the motor and loose those couple mph. 

You sure the spray isn't coming from the transducer? I had a 97 Bayfisher with the transducer in the same spot, it was the source of spray, till I made a cover. Maybe add one of those Bobs larger anti cavitation plates, that should fix the spray, if the motor is the cause.  Im also a no on the jackplate, I don't see much advantage on boats that don't have a pocket. You would have to back 6" to do any good while running, and 6" is just gonna throw the balance way off. 4" will be good for idling on and off the flat, prolly not much for running. 

4 hours ago, lurem said:

Welcome,

I had a 1998 and added a jackplate. I started with a 6" and did not like it so I put a 4" setback on and it worked perfect for me. The micro Jackplate should be the ticket if you asked me. (I have one on my 2007 Redfisher 16 now). Keep an eye on your water pressure with a gauge and you should be fine.

Lurem, Thanks for the welcome. Glad to hear that you like your plate, I'll add a water pressure gauge for sure. Its pretty strange because the spray looks like its coming from water hitting the flatter spot of the top of the lower unit. I figured that cleaner water 4" setback would help for sure. How far up do you usually run your plate?

4 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

My 96 Bonefisher had that spray issue at certain trim angles, also. You may never be able to get away from it completely. Just figure out what your best trim angle and amount of tabs you have to use to get a good ride without getting the spray. You're motor is at the correct height and I would not adjust it's height. My boat did not have a jack plate, but from what I understand from those that have added one, you may get more porpoising than you would like.

4 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

Now that I think about it, the more people I had sitting with me, the worse the mist/spray got. Could be caused by a low pressure area behind the passengers and myself.

HewesYourDaddy, Thanks for the info. I totally agree that the motor is at the right height and thats why I'm puzzled as the what exactly is causing it. I appreciate the note on the porpoising issue as well. The boat doesn't porpoise at all right now with where the tabs are mounted, but start trimming it up enough and it becomes pretty bouncy.  I agree with you on the more weight the bigger the issue as well. With someone sitting up front its not nearly as bad. 

3 hours ago, HoneyB said:

if you put your small plate on it might help with the spray.. it might hurt i don't know but i know even at 4 inches the motor will be in cleaner water. 

i own a 15 whaler that has a v shape spray coming from the motor if i trim it up. running tucked under it is not as noticeable . Im guessing if I were to lower the motor it might go away but who wants to lower the motor and loose those couple mph. 

HoneyB, I was never a believer in cavitation plate/hydrofoil bolt on's until we ran a Bobs on a friends boat. Totally stopped blowing out in the turns on the creek and planned at 4mph slower speed with only a little loss on the top end. It ran like a different boat and I am now a believer that some hulls need it! I've been looking at adding a Permatrim to try out as it seems to be the best of both works when comparing drag to planing surface. I'm def not going to lower the motor, only crazy people want to loose speed! 

3 hours ago, hurricane said:

You sure the spray isn't coming from the transducer? I had a 97 Bayfisher with the transducer in the same spot, it was the source of spray, till I made a cover. Maybe add one of those Bobs larger anti cavitation plates, that should fix the spray, if the motor is the cause.  Im also a no on the jackplate, I don't see much advantage on boats that don't have a pocket. You would have to back 6" to do any good while running, and 6" is just gonna throw the balance way off. 4" will be good for idling on and off the flat, prolly not much for running. 

Hurricane, thats the first thing that came to mind, but the spray is coming up on both sides of the lower unit and in a "V" fashion. It also changes with the trim of the motor. When I lean my head over the back of the boat with someone else driving, the ducer looks like its in pretty clean water with very little spray (maybe 4-5in).  Thanks for your comments on the jackplate, I will most likely be using it specifically to idle through some of the shallower during low tides going into some creeks and tight areas, but I can also just use my trolling motor. 

3 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

I agree with everyone's statement above. I also think you should sell me the 6" jackplate since you won't need it!😀👍

MuddyBottomBluz, Once I get it off my big motor I'll be throwing it up for sale and keep you posted man! 

I had a bob's stabilizer plate for running slower than normal when I needed it and guess you would say it tamed the porpoising. I did not have porpoising issues with that boat like I do with my current one. I also had a Bob's low water pickup and could run the Jackplate all the way up when running when needed. I like both trim tabs and Jackplates and set the attitude of my boat to get the fastest speed at the lowest RPM"S. You can probably see the stabilizer plate in the picture I posted but not the low water pickup.

You have a great boat! I sure miss mine!!

17 hours ago, lurem said:

I had a bob's stabilizer plate for running slower than normal when I needed it and guess you would say it tamed the porpoising. I did not have porpoising issues with that boat like I do with my current one. I also had a Bob's low water pickup and could run the Jackplate all the way up when running when needed. I like both trim tabs and Jackplates and set the attitude of my boat to get the fastest speed at the lowest RPM"S. You can probably see the stabilizer plate in the picture I posted but not the low water pickup.

You have a great boat! I sure miss mine!!

Thanks for the info man. I didn't even know they made low water pickup's for the 3cyl gearcase. I agree with you about having the ability to set the boat where you want it. I'm still debating what I want to do about the whole jackplate thing as I don't remember a boat (aside from gheenoes) I didn't have one on!  What was Top speed for your boat vs cruising if you can recall? 

I appreciate all the support on the mbg forum. Its awesome! Heres a photo of the rig while its apart getting a complete cooling system clean. Waterpump, Exhaust cover, Water Jackets, Head and T-Stats. 

IMG_4967.jpg

Archived