Best years for 22 TE

bjgiii

24 minutes ago, bjgiii said:

I was just thinking. How do the older hulls handle the weight of a modern four stroke? Isn’t that why the came out with the XL models? 

The older V series had a 20” transom ......the XL has a 25” transom......so my opinion is the XL will handle the additional weight of the heavier four strokes better. I have owned both hulls , and I did replace a two stroke 200 hp with a F250 four stroke on a 2400V and the additional weight did change the handling of the boat because the rear end of the boat sat much lower in the water. There were plus’s and minuses.... obviously faster....but negative effect on handling.

i now own a 2200XL with a F150 and I’m very happy with this set up because I now spend more time fishing than running WOT in the rivers as I did 15 years ago.

With that being said....I went from a 2400V with F250 running 59 mph to a 2200XL  with F 150 running 44 mph. 

Would it be best to look for a xl model or newer instead on the early 2000’s models for a four stroke engine?  I’m looking to find a really clean tournament that won’t break the bank. Something that I could update with some new power and other modern equipment. I really don’t want to buy a new/newer model if the older ones are just as nice.

All of the models are good , depending on your style of fishing and how much horsepower you want. I would say,  just find one with a hull in good shape if your plans are to re- power. The XL will hold more weight due to the 25” transom...however, .The newer four strokes are much lighter than they were 10 years ago. There are a lot of guys on here running the 20” Yamaha SHO motors and are very happy with their V series hulls and the performance. There are a few 22’s around that will run 55 to 60 mph with the SHO’s. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 3:23 PM, jcchapot said:

Used to have a 2004 22 TE and don't get me wrong i love my 24 TE but i do miss that 22 a lot.  With the four blade prop it was a blast to run through narrow curving bayous in the marsh.

Just curious, what do you miss about the 22 that the 24 doesn't have? I'm debating both sizes and wondering if there's any negatives with going for a 2400 over the 2200. The 2200 seems to have a little extra room inside. 

On 4/26/2019 at 11:00 PM, flatsfisher772 said:

I see a few people mentioned 2006 models, is there a reason you wouldn't want to go newer? Did something change in 2007 that wasn't very favorable?

07-08 the hull changed to one that drafted a little more. You sacrificed top speed for ride.

Around 2007 Pathfinder came out with the XL design but they didn't discontinue the 2200 V (TE) for at least a couple of years.  The XL has 3" more freeboard to reduce the wet feet problem and a redesign stern to handle the heavy 4stroke power that was popular at the time.  Most people think the old style hull is faster and maybe drafts a little less.

But both hulls run great.

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2019 at 10:04 PM, flatsfisher772 said:

Just curious, what do you miss about the 22 that the 24 doesn't have? I'm debating both sizes and wondering if there's any negatives with going for a 2400 over the 2200. The 2200 seems to have a little extra room inside. 

The 22 felt more like a sports car than the 24.  I also sight fished a lot in the 22 in the winter and it was better suited for this.  With the 4 blade prop it almost felt like driving a jetski the way i was able to turn in that boat.  I'm in MS/LA and in the summer have long runs through open water to fish. When the wind picks up i don't miss the 22 as the 24 rides better and with a 250 is faster than my 22 with the 150 was.