Repower 2001 Maverick HPX-T - Yamaha 60 or 70?

Fresh H20 Skiff

I am considering repowering a 2001 HPX Tunnel that has an F50 but wanted some feed back from users of the pros and cons to a new F60 or F70.

Other than the 6 lb. weight difference and cost, is one better suited to this older style hull?
Is there much difference in speed or is most of the additional HP realized in the hole shot?
Other factors/consideration?

Thank you for providing any insight.

• 7 months later...

KPC,

No, I have not. Actually, just sold the old 50 Yamaha two weeks ago and the boat is down for the winter so I have some time to figure out the next move. 

I didn't have any responses/opinions offered on my original inquiry and am still undecided on which HP to go with. 

I ruled out the Suzuki simply because I already have existing gauges that will work with a new Yamaha. Otherwise, I would have given the Suzuki 60  serious consideration because of the better warranty, weight, and believe it or not - noise; Suzuki's are possibly the quietest 4-strokes on the water which can be significant when mounted to a tunnel hull. 

Please let me know if you have any insight from others weighing in or if you come across info via another channel.

The hull on the older boats is essentially or exactly the same as the current ones. They changed the cap and hatches slightly with the 2011 model year, but I believe the hulk itself is exactly the same. The newer hula are more commonly fitted with a jack plate, and that will effect operating performance some. That said, I’ve only run the 70 HP Yamahas - the 2 stroke on my first boat, an ‘02 model, and now the F70 on my 2011 model. Both motors have been fantastic.