Rhodan Install on 2300DV

Agitator

I posted this on the vintage sub- forum.  Thought it might get more views here.  Any help appreciated.

Anyone installed a Rhodan trolling motor on a 2300DV?  Specifically, how to get wiring from console to anchor locker without laying across deck?  Boat is a '02 with the step down console.  Planning to use 1/4 aluminum plate for backing plate for the motor mount.  Any suggestions?

I do not know how that boat is built or what your access points are. I have found that getting wires forward or aft from a center console a metal fish tape used for pulling electrical wires is rather handy. You just have to figure if you have open access to the bilge or need to cut in acess ports somewhere. I know my 2200trs the anchor locker is open to the bilge. If that is your case you can sent the fishtape forward from the console and find it at the bow. I’m not sure if that helps at all but it is all I have. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 10:16 AM, East Coast Dave said:

Almost afraid to ask but how do they compare to the Minn Kota?  Pros & cons?

Lol you are wise not to ask. Thats where it began for me going Rhodan. The most remarkable difference is the spot lock on the Rhodan.  It is...well...a spot lock. Far superior to MK and MG and yes I have fished them all now.  I was in a position to get MK and MG for discounts for few years with an affiliation with West M and swapped them every couple years to stay in warranty. Had 3 Ulterras. Just too many breakdowns on all going back to the original ipilot.  Thats about all I got for facts thus far as I only have had doz. trips on the Rhodan so far. In my opine...the Rhodan is more salt water worthy. Well another fact they market it as such. Case in point it comes standard with a genuine Line X coated foot. Line X of Sarasota applies it for them. Thats a big deal around our NE FL oyster bars here. Most folks don't knock the paint off their feet and skid the gel across such but I do cause I noticed the redfish do too and I sure do like catching (and releasing) them suckers. MK and MG cut their teeth in fresh and like Garmin...don't evolve with the ever growing salt group. Thats more opinion of course. I do know I have a buddy who fished with me and runs MG and says the Rhodan is quieter but meh 🤷‍♂️I can't tell...and my MK had been in the shop so long I forgot. Rhodan and his MG are a 3 blade so maybe so maybe not. The remote is crazy small and I love that. Bout size of power pole remote. They have a big market for anchors and while I spot lock occasionally I am on the move on the troll much more. Its track mode is tight, crisp and responsive and I think that's all related to their gps functionality. It ramps u and down smoothly and unlike the others even has reverse mode. Their customer service is up there with power pole. Just call. They answer.

Their motors come with tinned marine wire, terminals attached and quick release attached.  Their puck is slightly different size and their lock rods are all stainless not plastic and stainless. Their puck is a direct bolt pattern to the MK. So its as simple as removing the MK puck and installing the Rhodan. The Rhodan will fit the MK puck but MK puck is smaller so a bit of wiggle that I didn't like. My pucks are drilled and tapped into the plate so changing the mounts was super simple for me. 

While mine hasn't broke I sure enough called them a bunch Every time I considered the change and posed a question or two and they answered and were forthright in how they build their motors and deal with warranty issues. Stayed tuned and I will be happy to update as I was so tired of MK repairs I paid retail for Rhodan. I sure like what I see so far!  

• 2 weeks later...

Deployment of the Rhodan is not is easy to me as my bass boat's MK Ultrex. BUT - the deployment mechanism on the Rhodan is much more robust for saltwater use and I like that fact. I compared Rhodan side-by-side with MK a few years ago at the Miami Boat Show (they were literally across the aisle from each other). The Rhodan's circuit board has an aerospace develpoed gel covering all of the circuitry with a thick layer of this gel to protect from corrosion and shock. Every aspect of the Rhodan seemed more heavy duty and saltwater protected than MK. I have never owned a MG because I have always felt MK is a superior product for freshwater. To me, Rhodan is the best you can get for the salt. I just bought my second Rhodan and sent it to Skip for installation on my 2500 Hybrid which I'm picking up next week. It is the 60" 36 V beast, can't wait to try it out along with the other features of the boat.

• 1 year later...
On 3/21/2019 at 2:31 PM, Agitator said:

Do you want to sell that boat?

I posted this on the vintage sub- forum.  Thought it might get more views here.  Any help appreciated.

Anyone installed a Rhodan trolling motor on a 2300DV?  Specifically, how to get wiring from console to anchor locker without laying across deck?  Boat is a '02 with the step down console.  Planning to use 1/4 aluminum plate for backing plate for the motor mount.  Any suggestions?